Help Please. Recall signal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Con Dao Islands Vietnam. Owner of Dive ! Dive ! Di
# of dives
Hi all,
I have dived off a lot of boats, and have a problem that I think a lot of people share and might have the bright idea that I cannot find....
I am sick of banging on the ladder for a recall signal.
There has got to be a better way, I myself cannot hear the ladder bang more then 40 meters from the boat.
Open to suggestions.....Please note I am in the third world, so super duper sonar pulses are not available, but I can get a stick of dynamite from the local fishermen !!!! that will certainly get everybody to the surface, and if I am lucky a few will still be alive....
Fire works are not available but I was actually thinking of making some VERY small water proof fire crackers....Watching for bubbles and tossing them in, AWAY from the reef and where the divers are. If I get some body sick on the boat, and we did not bring the chase boat, I want everybody up and out ASAP.
Thanks

How about rigging a "DiveAlert Plus" unit to a LP port on your 1st stage that is attached to a long hose that can reach the top of the water? That way you can blast a sub surface horn?

I am a diving newbie, but I am also an engineer so I do like these challenges :)

Amazon.com: dive alert plus

"In contrast, DiveAlert Plus enables divers at the mere touch of a button to generate a loud blast of sound on the surface that can be heard up to a mile away! Or, by switching the DiveAlert Plus diverter valve for Subsurface signaling the diver can now signal for his dive buddy’s attention underwater!"

Dont they make waterproof speakers? I always thought you could just have a speaker underwater and just tell them to come back :dork2:

hire a humpback whale....they seem to have it figured out :wink:

ti325v:
I am sick of banging on the ladder for a recall signal.

How often do you use the recall signal? Getting sick of banging on the ladder makes me think you are using it fairly often. If that is true, there are probably more important issues that need addressing than how you recall divers.

How about rigging a "DiveAlert Plus" unit to a LP port on your 1st stage that is attached to a long hose that can reach the top of the water? That way you can blast a sub surface horn?

I am a diving newbie, but I am also an engineer so I do like these challenges :)

Amazon.com: dive alert plus

"In contrast, DiveAlert Plus enables divers at the mere touch of a button to generate a loud blast of sound on the surface that can be heard up to a mile away! Or, by switching the DiveAlert Plus diverter valve for Subsurface signaling the diver can now signal for his dive buddy’s attention underwater!"

Don't believe all you read in the marketing material. In my experience, you can only hear the underwater quacking if you are very close and not wearing a hood.

I thought clanging the ladder was for emergencies. For the rest I am on vacation. I will come back when I am ready. Aahh, I love blowing bubbles. Blub, blub and blub.

There are underwater speakers. A friend of mine rigged his up and played music and then had a recording of his voice asking his bride to marry him. He also has a mic attached on deck so that the boat captain can just say whatever he wants to say to those under water. They used the same system in an accident victim recovery so that the person who had driven the boat could tell him which direction to move. The boat captain was able to give him a verbal compass reading and he was able then to take that heading while still under water. The wattage of the speakers would determine how far away someone could hear you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom