Help Please. Recall signal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We used to have a thing that was basically a metal tube that was sealed at both ends and had a metal runner inside. when you shook it up and down with one end underwater the metal runner would hit against the ends of the metal tube making a loud cracking sound that could be heard quite far away underwater. Unfortunately one of our guys broke it so we don't have it any-more :(

Generally if we are in a situation where we think we may end up having to recall a diver we just have them take a rope down so we can give them signals that way.

Ive also heard that some divers take a mobile phone set to vibrate inside their drysuit. Though ive not tried this myself and i would be suprised if this actually worked.

Simply start the boat's engines. I find any divers left in the water are back at the ladder in double quick time...

I thought clanging the ladder was for emergencies. For the rest I am on vacation. I will come back when I am ready. Aahh, I love blowing bubbles. Blub, blub and blub.

Be clear in the dive breifing when you want me back. If I am not back, I am lost.

How often do you use the recall signal? Getting sick of banging on the ladder makes me think you are using it fairly often. If that is true, there are probably more important issues that need addressing than how you recall divers.

Since my post in reply was not polite and removed by the moderators, with out addressing what I feel is an unnecessary and nasty insult, the above post, which I question why it was not removed as well, it is after all off topic and insulting....

To flesh out the details for those that could not or did not read.....
If I get some body sick on the boat, and we did not bring the chase boat, I want everybody up and out ASAP. I hope that clarifies things....
For your enlightenment, we are the ONLY dive company in the country with a working AED on the boat, sat phone, GPS, depth sounder, REDUNDANT 3000 liter oxygen supplies, divers are all equipped with SMB, air horn, whistle, cutting tool and signal mirror. ( We do not charge to rent equipment as it is normal here, but NOBODY else gives out the safety gear as well)
Evacuation, diving, major medical and accident insurance INCLUDED in the price of your diving, as your DAN, Dive Assure, In Depths are not going to pay the $4500 in CASH you have to hand to the helicopter pilot to get off the island, Our carrier has a contract with the chopper, hospital, and chamber...(There is one bank open 2-3 days a week).
WE PAID to train the nearest HBO facility personnel in re compression treatment.
So please tell me, what are you doing when your boat takes of with an emergency and has no effective way to call you back ? Insult somebody ?
Your insinuation that my operation is unsafe just falls apart in the light of my simple question intended to make it safer !

Ahh tomorrow morning....I will be out on my 47 foot custom built dive boat, with dolphins on the bow wave !

I'll second what bigharrydiver said about the "dive alert". Not loud enough for a recall but OK if your buddy is fairly close.

I'm curious now...where is your shop and operation and what do you call it?

I dunno...I thought Walter's post was a fair question! I thought the exact same thing :idk:

Since my post in reply was not polite and removed by the moderators, with out addressing what I feel is an unnecessary and nasty insult, the above post, which I question why it was not removed as well, it is after all off topic and insulting....

To flesh out the details for those that could not or did not read.....
If I get some body sick on the boat, and we did not bring the chase boat, I want everybody up and out ASAP. I hope that clarifies things....
For your enlightenment, we are the ONLY dive company in the country with a working AED on the boat, sat phone, GPS, depth sounder, REDUNDANT 3000 liter oxygen supplies, divers are all equipped with SMB, air horn, whistle, cutting tool and signal mirror. ( We do not charge to rent equipment as it is normal here, but NOBODY else gives out the safety gear as well)
Evacuation, diving, major medical and accident insurance INCLUDED in the price of your diving, as your DAN, Dive Assure, In Depths are not going to pay the $4500 in CASH you have to hand to the helicopter pilot to get off the island, Our carrier has a contract with the chopper, hospital, and chamber...(There is one bank open 2-3 days a week).
WE PAID to train the nearest HBO facility personnel in re compression treatment.
So please tell me, what are you doing when your boat takes of with an emergency and has no effective way to call you back ? Insult somebody ?
Your insinuation that my operation is unsafe just falls apart in the light of my simple question intended to make it safer !

Ahh tomorrow morning....I will be out on my 47 foot custom built dive boat, with dolphins on the bow wave !

I'm sorry you felt my post was insulting. That was not my intention. I certainly agree if you have someone sick on the boat, you need to get all the other divers up and on the boat ASAP. That is not in question.

ti325v:
Evacuation, diving, major medical and accident insurance INCLUDED in the price of your diving

Excellent!

ti325v:

I have no knowledge of the safety of your operation except what you've posted here. I've not indicated otherwise. I don't know which operation is yours nor do I know where in the world it is located. All I can go on is what you've posted.

I asked you a simple question - how often you use the recall signal. You chose to take it as an insult. I said if you are using the recall signal often there are probably more important issues that need addressing than how you recall divers. You chose to take that as an insult. I don't know how often you use the recall signal. You may have never used it. I can only go by what you tell us and how you react. You told us you are sick of using it. That would make one think you use it often. On the other hand, it could simply be a miscommunication. That's why I asked for more information.

Based on your PM, I would agree you need another recall signal since you tell me you use the same signal to tell guides when they are under the boat. The recall signal should not be easily confused with any other signal.

Good luck with finding the ideal signal for you and with your business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom