Help Please. Recall signal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Walter....
In reading your answer, I can see, with the additional information you provided, a hint of a legitimate question.
However, your post was shown to my staff and others, some with no knowledge that we beat the ladder to let the D.M`s know they are under the boat. The reaction was the same as mine, so it is not just me.
Please remember my original post said.....
"If I get somebody sick on the boat, and we did not bring the chase boat, I want everybody up and out ASAP.

The general perception was " Does this guy think we are recalling for the daily dose of DCS ?"
That said, my apologies for going off like a cannon.

Please note, I also said I cannot hear the ladder for more then 40 meters in the best of conditions. We often dive 100 or more meters from the boat so as an emergency recall it is useless to beat the ladder. (The actual point of the original post.)

I have been using the board for a while, and I think I get some kind of absolute nutter every fifth post or so who lets off with something completely idiotic. So I am without doubt sensitized, to the point of actually considering not using the board anymore.... There are even one or two recent posts on this topic that are questionable or completely off topic.
One more thing....we are the only shop in the country to send our air overseas at great cost..... 2 compressors, 4 times a year, plus air frieght comes to over $2000 a year. We are a SMALL operation and I would guess that safety related items were about 8 % of my set up costs, and 2-3% of my operating costs. I think you will find those amounts are far above what is normally budgeted for safety. ( Not including the chase boat)

So dead issue, I hope that we both understand each other.

In my post that was removed, I thanked the people with various suggestions such as dive alerts, (We give them to all divers as well), rattles....Thanks for the suggestions guys, but they are just not loud enough...
One poster gave me exactly what I wanted, and I am going to spend $1,800 on it SOLELY in the interest of SAFETY. On top of the THOUSANDS I have already.

The dolphins were on the bow today, it was lovely !

Dive safe.

I'm sorry you felt my post was insulting. That was not my intention. I certainly agree if you have someone sick on the boat, you need to get all the other divers up and on the boat ASAP. That is not in question.

Excellent!

I have no knowledge of the safety of your operation except what you've posted here. I've not indicated otherwise. I don't know which operation is yours nor do I know where in the world it is located. All I can go on is what you've posted.

I asked you a simple question - how often you use the recall signal. You chose to take it as an insult. I said if you are using the recall signal often there are probably more important issues that need addressing than how you recall divers. You chose to take that as an insult. I don't know how often you use the recall signal. You may have never used it. I can only go by what you tell us and how you react. You told us you are sick of using it. That would make one think you use it often. On the other hand, it could simply be a miscommunication. That's why I asked for more information.

Based on your PM, I would agree you need another recall signal since you tell me you use the same signal to tell guides when they are under the boat. The recall signal should not be easily confused with any other signal.

Good luck with finding the ideal signal for you and with your business.

Apology accepted, thank you. Once again, I'm sorry my words did not come across as intended. It looks to me like you are very concerned about safety. Keep up the good work.

Enjoy the dolphins!

Back
Top Bottom