Help: Replacement Tank Valve(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyoung

Registered
Reaction score
I was given two steel tanks, they are Gensis 100s, with a DIN only 7/8-14 thd tank valves. They passed hydro/visual.

The issue, my gear is yoke style. I have searched to try and find valves of 7/8-14 thd that are yoke or yoke/din compatable (like the 3/4" ones, but in 7/8").

Hopefully someone out there knows of a source, or (lucky me) someone has a couple extras buried in their seabag and interested in parting with 'em.

Thanks........carl

You will not find them as with these cylinders they are true HP - meaning their working pressure is 3500psi. Which means only DIN threads. Anything under 3500psi you can use DIN with yoke inserts.

You would be will better off seeing if your regs can be converted over to DIN. Many can be. For instance, I can convert my Atomic regs from Yoke to DIN by changing out a few parts.

I suppose that you could use a yoke to DIN filler adapter to put your yoke regulators on the DIN valves. That's assuming that your yokes are 3500psi rated which a lot of modern ones are.

Yoke regs can only be used up to the 3442 psi working pressure of the new E or X series HP tanks. These are the tanks which can use the modern 200 Bar Thermo Pro DIN/K valves that work in 0.750-14 NPS (3/4 NPS) threaded tanks. One of the original HP tanks requires a 300 Bar DIN valve and a DIN 1st stage. I don't think it would be wise to attempt to jerry-rig something.

Most modern 1st stages can be converted over the DIN quite easily and then converted back to yoke when needed. This doesn't entail using an adapter but actually changing the 1st stage itself between DIN and Yoke by swapping out the tank fitting. On many regs this part simply screews in and out.

There are some yoke regulators that are rated for 3500 service. Even the USD Royal Aqua-Master Doublehose regulator was rated to 3500 psi. And do you really think something that is "rated" to 3442psi wukk fail if you put 58 psi more pressure in it?

And the yoke wasn't really limited to 3000psi by design, just typical use. Sherwood sold yoke valves rated to 5000psi and OMS valves and manifolds are rated for 4500psi, even the "200bar" models.

There are some yoke regulators that are rated for 3500 service. Even the USD Royal Aqua-Master Doublehose regulator was rated to 3500 psi. And do you really think something that is "rated" to 3442psi wukk fail if you put 58 psi more pressure in it?

And the yoke wasn't really limited to 3000psi by design, just typical use. Sherwood sold yoke valves rated to 5000psi and OMS valves and manifolds are rated for 4500psi, even the "200bar" models.

I agree with you, but that still doesn't change the fact that I don't think there are any yoke valves made for 7/8" UNF thread.

The best bet is just get your regs converted to DIN.

I agree with you, but that still doesn't change the fact that I don't think there are any yoke valves made for 7/8" UNF thread.

Exactly. So he's left with needing to go to a DIN 1st stage which IMO is the way to go regardless, even with 3442 X-Series tanks. Simply a superior design than the A-clamp.

Exactly. So he's left with needing to go to a DIN 1st stage which IMO is the way to go regardless, even with 3442 X-Series tanks. Simply a superior design than the A-clamp.

I agree I have 11 tanks and 10 are DIN.

Carl, what brand of regulator do you use?

All 7/8" valves are 300 BAR DIN. The 300Bar DIN does not take the yoke insert adapters and even if you made one custom, the depth of the valve is too great to fit a yoke over it. Will not work.

Their are two ways to make this work, a DIN to yoke adapter like this
product_thumb.php

which is meant for filling so use underwater would be serious hokeyness.

Or the correct way which is to convert the reg to 300 bar DIN and use a DIN to yoke adapter for your existing tanks using yoke valves.

Sorry, my error for not giving enough info.

Up front thanks for the input.

I am quite a bit behind, I left diving in the mid 70s and returned in early 00s (long story). I know there are a lot of product changes that have taken place, and feel that this board is the best source to get help/answers.

1. Tank Gensis steel 100's, 3500 psi; steel 80 3500 psi (daughters). Brother-n-law has all but given up on diving, he's 62? this year. He has 4 steel tanks, and passed 2 over (life time loan so to speak).

2. Tank valve: Sherwood 6300, 7/8-14 thd, valve is angled and the din connection is off center. The valves are NOT compatable for plug and yoke use (no dimple on backside for the yoke screw).

3. Dive regs:
1) aqua lung - - titan, yoke setup (complete).
2) aqua lung - - titan, din (incomplete, have to switch 2nds, SPG, & inf hose)
3) aqua lung - - cousteau/sea, yoke (daughters,complete but need to get a din connection).
4) atomic - - ST1, yoke (complete but need to get a din connection).

4. Also have two (mine) alum 80s yoke style.

Ok, so what is my problem.

Presently I (we) are predominately yoke dependant, and the steels are not getting much use. Eventually, I hope to convert all to din, but in the mean time, to get more use out of the steel tanks was hoping someone might know of a source for a 7/8-14 valve that was din/yoke compatiable.

Again thanks for the input.

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom