Help w/ 1st setup- Scubapro or Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009 once bubbled...

Just so you know there is no such thing as an apeks 'ATX100' The ATX200 replaced the TX100. The difference being a smaller and lighter second stage as well as a different port configuration on the first stage.
As far as Zeagle goes they are identical to the apeks.

Hmmm... so the ATX100 I saw in my LDS was a fake? How about this? http://www.apeks.co.uk/atx100.htm

Regarding Zeagle...here's what Apeks UK had to say:
Reply from Apeks UK:

Hi John,
Zeagle was our American distributor a few years ago. We used to make regulators for Zeagle and they put their own badges on them, we now deal with Aqualung America since becoming part of the Aqualung group.

Regards
Gill Hook
Techncal Services

So does the response from Apeks UK mean that the new Zeagles are not "apeks" . Zeagles are made by someone else? Aqualungs are now made by Apeks?

BTW. when I was shopping regs last week, a salesman at a LDS pooh-poohed one brand (can't remember which) by saying that it is a "US Divers" manufactured reg, even though it carried a different name. What brand is that? And what is wrong with US Divers? He implied that it meant poor, or cheap, quality.

Different brands being made by the same manufacturer is confusing.

AFAIK, The current line-up are still made by Apeks... Apeks is now part of the Aqua-lung group...which used to be US Divers (they changed their name)

Even my LDS says US Divers/Aqua Lung regs aren't that durable...something about the HP seats being very weak.

I'm also worried that Apeks' quality might suffer in the near future if Aqua Lung takes over the design & manufacturing.

Which is why I'm planning to get an Apeks NOW before the whole corporate BS kicks in.

Aqualung regs are NOT made by Apeks. Aqualung regs are US Divers regs.

Cinjodi once bubbled...
So does the response from Apeks UK mean that the new Zeagles are not "apeks" . Zeagles are made by someone else? Aqualungs are now made by Apeks?

BTW. when I was shopping regs last week, a salesman at a LDS pooh-poohed one brand (can't remember which) by saying that it is a "US Divers" manufactured reg, even though it carried a different name. What brand is that? And what is wrong with US Divers? He implied that it meant poor, or cheap, quality.

Let me see if I can clear it up. Apeks is a "European" brand. They used to sell their regs to Zeagle for North American distribution. That is no longer the case and Zeagle wen't out an contracted their own regulators. (This is very similar to home electronics or automobiles, there are a few "manufacturers" who make all the regulators for many "brand names" to their indivdual specifications.

ScubaPro and Apeks are the industry standard by which all other regs are judged. They both produce high quality equipment with a $$$$$ price tag.

I have heard some really good things about the "new" Zeagle regs which might indicate they are better than both the above options, but have not personally used them so I'm just repeating hearsay.

James

Cinjodi once bubbled...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with US Divers. They are best known for inexpensive solid regulators. They may not have the breathing performance of an Apeks or Scubapro but they are good regs for rec divers who don't want to spend $400.

Back in my college days, I had a USD Conshelf 22 (it was the most I could afford back then) and while I felt I was sucking through a straw when inverted, it's performance at 120' was comperable to how it did at 20'.

jplacson once bubbled...
AFAIK, The current line-up are still made by Apeks... Apeks is now part of the Aqua-lung group...which used to be US Divers (they changed their name)

Even my LDS says US Divers/Aqua Lung regs aren't that durable...something about the HP seats being very weak.

I have Aqualung Titan and it survived few years of fairly rough handling no problem. The deepest I ever took it was about 45msw and I didn't have any problems breathing it.
A few friends of mine took it to 60-80 mfw and didn't complain. One took it to 90msw for a bungee dive and said it was ok. (I'm not commenting on wisdom of doing air dives to 90msw so please let it be).

New Aqualung Legend has apparently the same first stage design as Apekses, just different 2nd stage.

I've just got my two Poseidon Xstreams so I will go and play with them :).
Vlad

Did he service or "service" it ? Did you try to adjust breathing with knob ?

Yep & yep

I just rocked up to see if they were ready & no luck so he gave me his that he just serviced SLACKER should have serviced customers regs first.

Been diving long enough to know how to use them :wink:

jplacson once bubbled...

I'm also worried that Apeks' quality might suffer in the near future if Aqua Lung takes over the design & manufacturing.

Which is why I'm planning to get an Apeks NOW before the whole corporate BS kicks in.

Aqualung regs are NOT made by Apeks. Aqualung regs are US Divers regs.

If I understand it correctly, Aqualung has the rights to distribute Apeks products in the United States but they do not have any role in the manufacturing of Apeks regs. Apeks regs are made in the UK by Apeks Marine Equipment Limited.

About 6 months ago Scubapro restructured their prices.

As for the MK25/S600, I have 4 of them. I haven't used Apeks but I've been using SP and servicing them for 3 years. I would choose them over most Genesis, Oceanics, Sherwoods, and Mares regs. Yes, you'll pay a little more. But in my opinion it's truly a great value. I've also noticed that usually the oldest reg in the shop to be serviced is a SP. And after I'm done with it, most of them will breathe like new. That's not the case for most other brand of regs that I've serviced.

Just so you know there is an Apeks ATX 100, it is right here in my service manual (Im a Aqualung/Apeks service tech) and jbichsel is right, the Legend LX is the best breather out of all of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom