Help - Which camera - Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel XTi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went throught the decision process with the Nikon D-80 vs Cannon 40D. I eliminated the Olympus simply because the housings and lense selection wasn't as good. A friend of mine shoots Olympus and loves it, but he doesn't take his camera under water.

I chose the D-80 for the following reasons:
  • Lense selection for the Nikon fit my needs better. Besides I could find all kinds of things out about the Nikon lenses, but the Cannon web site is horrible.
  • Button arrangement on the D-80 seemed more logical to me for things I change most often. There were some comments in the reviews about some of the Cannon settings only accessable from the menues.
  • Price was an issue as well, the Cannon and Nikon unfortunately do not line up on the same price points, so you have to look at them with features/value. For me the D-80 was a better value. In your case the 400D may be a better value.
  • My brother in law shoots Nikon professionally, I keep hoping he will offer to sell me his old stuff :D
The advice on this forum has been right on I don't think you can go wrong with a Cannon or Nikon, to decide between them you need to put your hands on the camera with the lense(s) you will want to use. It helps if you read the manuals on line before you go look at the cameras, that too will help.

for your advise....I went to a camera store, but they only had the D80 there, the cannon sold out at christmas....but I really liked the Nikon...I will probably get that one....Nikon also has a underwater photography class in Bonaire!...might have to take it...

I don't care to buy used equipment....just a quirk with me....bought too many used cars that didn't work out...haha....

thanks again! juli

I will also be using this camera for nature/wildlife photography....so lens options is a big factor to consider...if I invest in a few lenses then decide to upgrade the camera body...I want to be able to use the existing lenses so I don't have to keep buying a new system...in other words I need a brand that is flexible for different needs...

I'd suggest that this is probably the biggest factor, IMO. Choosing a decent camera body (in this case Nikon or Canon dSLR), while important, falls down the priority list. For me, it's all about the lenses. Good glass can last you for quite some time to come while you may go through a few camera bodies over the years.

Between the D80 and the Rebel XTi, it's really not going to make any difference to you as a new dSLR photographer. It's really of little consequence worrying about the type of sensor, for example, CMOS vs. CCD, when there's much more to be gained from improving your skills as a photographer, regardless of the technical differences between two good camera bodies.

I had this same question about a month or so ago, except it was Nikon D40/D40x or Canon Rebel XTi. I did consider the D80, but found 98% of what I needed/wanted was taken care of by the smaller body D40x series.

Research found that the XTi and the Nikon Cameras were both top notc and that it basically it came down to user preference and a few key features that were preference also.

Previously I was a Cannon EOS user. So I liked Canons, but I have Nikon Point-and-shoots.

But I chose the Nikon D40x over the cannon for a couple reasons

• I liked the Nikon lens for some reason a little better
  • I liked the menu on the Nikon better
  • The Nikon has "Auto ISO" feature that canon doesn't have. (this is tunable to min/max and can also be set with tuneable shutter speeds).
  • The Nikon uses SD memory cards, which is what every one of my other cameras use.
  • something just drew me to the Nikon a little better from a perference point of view

If you're considering the D80, then consider the D40x. It's a lot lighter and easy to use. It's the same sensor as the D80 and has many of the same features as the D80, but a smaller frame. However it does not have all the features. For example the D80 has the lens motor in the body and supports lens that use body motors and lens motors. The D40x only supports lens with lens motors. However, they is a very nice selection of lens that are supported make by Nikor (Nikon). Example the 18-200mm VR lens Nikor makes is just sweet!

Anyway, hope that helps some.

mike

What I want is the new Nikkor 600mm lens thats out...haha Of course, that would take refinancing my house! But, I could catch that coyote that keeps coming by my house! I'm not a total beginner when it comes to cameras...just the digital technology...so I appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going for the D80 and the 70-300mm lens Then practice on land before getting the underwater housing. When I get rich selling my photos, I will get the D300 w/600mm lens...haha...juli

What I want is the new Nikkor 600mm lens thats out...haha Of course, that would take refinancing my house! But, I could catch that coyote that keeps coming by my house! I'm not a total beginner when it comes to cameras...just the digital technology...so I appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going for the D80 and the 70-300mm lens Then practice on land before getting the underwater housing. When I get rich selling my photos, I will get the D300 w/600mm lens...haha...juli

A cheaper option that the 600mm, which cost more than my car, is the 70-300mm VR ($400) and a 2x Teleconvertor ($350). Not sure of performance and optic comparison going this route, but it's an option.

I've got the 70-300mm VR and will prob get a teleconvertor for it eventually.

A cheaper option that the 600mm, which cost more than my car, is the 70-300mm VR ($400) and a 2x Teleconvertor ($350). Not sure of performance and optic comparison going this route, but it's an option.

I've got the 70-300mm VR and will prob get a teleconvertor for it eventually.

If you're after 600mm then that will work and is cheaper, however, it's no comparison to the 600mm f/4 prime. The 70-300mm @ 300mm is f/5.6 and with the 2x teleconverter, you lose two stops, which brings it down to f/11. You've got 1/8th the amount of light coming through.

If you are looking for the smallest housing then "seatool" is a really nice size for xti, there is nothing that fits a dslr with closeness. I've been looking at the D80/Ike combo because of cost.

I'm not going to comment on what you want to take underwater because I am much too big of a chicken to take my DSLR underwater.

First, I'll echo what others have said: you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Personally I wouldn't go with Olympus because the selection of lenses is not nearly as extensive and you seem to want to get more into this hobby. Also, there is no possibility of ever going full-frame digital with Olympus. That may be important to you.

I do want to comment on the "wildlife" aspect of your post. Canon makes a nice, reasonably priced lens for some wildlife. It's the 400mm f/5.6 (like 600mm on a film camera). It's only about $1000-1100. I've got one, it is a very nice lens, but it doesn't gather as much light as the f/4 or f/2.8 obviously. But those are $5-7K lenses. Also, from what I could tell in a quick perusal, Nikon super-teles are quite a bit more than Canon's. I think this is why I picked Canon as a system 6 years ago when I was upgrading my film system from an OM-2/OM-4. Total price of what you think you might want is important.

Another option for super-teles that are good quality is Sigma lenses. You can get them in either mount. Sigma makes a nice 50-500mm zoom for a bit over $1K that's supposed to be quite nice. Canon makes an image stabilized 100-400mm zoom that is also quite good and is about $1400 IIRC. I don't know if Nikon makes something similar.

Bottom line, since you see yourself as becoming something more than a casual shooter, look at the lens line-up and the whole nine yards before picking a system. After you decide on Canon/Nikon, then find the first body you want. You'll replace that several times over in the digital age before you replace a really good lens.

If you're after 600mm then that will work and is cheaper, however, it's no comparison to the 600mm f/4 prime. The 70-300mm @ 300mm is f/5.6 and with the 2x teleconverter, you lose two stops, which brings it down to f/11. You've got 1/8th the amount of light coming through.

Warren.... good explanation. Thanks....

but as a follow on, is it worth the money for the F4 ? (I guess that's relative though to what you use it for, your budget, etc...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom