Help with BC blues (vest and aluminum 80)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Pro QD and will just relay my experience and hope it helps.

Central Fla:
1. Even with rear pouches weighted, being on the surface is annoying as the BC wants to push my face down/forward constantly. I am on the fat side (yes I am working on it) so I must use a lot of weight situated in the integrated weight pouches. Maybe if I can get the tank up higher it would provide more rear weight and less rear bouyancy when I am surfaced ??

Forcing you face forward is usually the result of overfilling your BC on the surface. Let in just enough air to keep your head above the surface and keep your fins out in front of you.

I am also heavy. Those weight pockets carry up to 20 lbs each in the XL size. I played with trim on the rear pockets and no longer use them. Found it much easier to use the BC handle behind the neck as a tank height measuring guage to adjust the tank height. Higher the tank is above the band, the more down angle on your head in a horizontal. Opposite is true with the tank lower on the band. Takes a couple of dives to get the hang of it. Really sensitive with steel tank placement.

Central Fla:
2. I can not think of any way to dry my gear other than disassemble the pouches completely and let them air dry turning the shot bags many times to get them dry, the noise from the clothes dryer was a dead giveaway:) My guess is that it just has to be disassembled.

Nope. Pouches come out of the BC and the weights come out of the pouches. After rinsing, I hang the pouches on the lowest D rings on the BC to dry using the inside velcro straps on the pouches. I use an old small oven rack for shot weight packs and just let them sit until they dry. Don't need to turn them.

Central Fla:
3. I can't seem to get the strap tight enough around the tank, I am pulling on the thing hard before I lock it down and the tank always ends up lower than when I started.

Read the ownwer's manual. Seaquest strap and buckle threading is tricky. There is an illustration in the manual. I made a photocopy of the page and stuck it in my log book. Funny... I used it last weekend for someone else with a QD. Definitely need to work with a wet strap.

Good diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom