Help with Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mauidive05

Reaction score
I having the most fustrating time trying to plan a dive vacation for myself and my sweetie in Belize. I am not sure of the resorts, which ones are good and bad. Also, I am a new diver and do not have any equipment. Please let me know if you have heard of any mederately priced packages with perhaps airfare. Basically, we would like to dive for the entire stay, which will be anywhere from 7 to 10 days in the end of June into July.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Check out Hamanasi Dive Resort on the net. They are south of Dangriga, Belize and offer some nice dive and tour packages. My wife and I stayed there two years ago and enjoyed it very much. We did a 5 day adventure package with a ruin tour and trek at Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve along with my dives. I also completed the last of my open water cert there and they were quite helpful. The boats and gear were good and the divemasters professional and friendly.

I got in 6 dives on the barrier reef, all of which had good fish and coral. Got some great pics of spotted eagle rays. Dives are generally about 20 minutes out by boat.

I wouldn't call this a bargain place but it was no rip-off either. Nice continental breakfasts and diners included if you select the meal package. the whole place has less than 20 rooms so it's pretty private compared to the Mexico resort scene.

Next door is Jaguar Reef lodge. We considered that but are glad we didn't choose it. We walked over for supper one night. It was very nice but we felt over priced, service poor and not set up for diving. It has a nicer beach than Hamanasi but neither is a great place to swim as it is pretty open to the ocean and the water roiled up. Beaches are fairly narrow as well.

The sand flies also make beach lounging impractical at the resort but they take guests out to South Water Caye for snorkeling and beaching where they don't bother you.

If you go, don't fail to wander around the native village of Hopkins a bit. Stop and have a Belikin and a meal. Eateries are a bit 3rd world but food is great and cheap. But that's what you travel for, right!

If you want to try something a bit more reasonable, contact the Hopkins Inn. It is a small hotel on the beach in the village. We checked it out and it was nice and clean and the owner seemed relieable. Alot of English spoken here so you shouldn't have any language barrier.

If you'd like more details, leave an email contact and I will fill you in.

I would recommend Ramon's Village on Ambergris Caye, they have their own dive shop and the accomedations are good. I would not call this a bargain place either, but would never hesitate to return.

The dive ops are world class and service is excellent.

San Pedro is walking distance away. A cool little village.

Ghost Diver:
I would recommend Ramon's Village on Ambergris Caye, they have their own dive shop and the accomedations are good. I would not call this a bargain place either, but would never hesitate to return.

Hi GD - welcome to SB!

In your efforts to economize, do not take any packages with Aqua Dives - pretty bad.

I just got back from Belize after an 8 day dive trip. Had a blast but wish weather was a little better. Ambergris diving is good, Turneffe is better, and Glovers reef is probably best. We had windy conditions that made seas a bit rough and some overcast skies that limited visibility. Our group stayed at Gaz's Playa Blanca Resort on Ambergris.
The place is comfortable and we saved money by ordering groceries and making most of our own meals. The DM's are great but we should have had two boats instead of one for the size of our group.
Since we missed a day of diving due to weather we made up for it by joining the Amigos Del Mar charter to Turneffe island for 3 dives off their 48' boat. The trip was great and I HIGHLY recommend them if you get to San Pedro.
If you go to Belize seek out the premier dive sites which are probably down South.
Rex

Ghost Diver:

I second this recommendation but I also suggest eating in town. Ramon's food is overpriced and somewhat bland. The dive operation, the bar, the accomodations, the amenities and the convenient location are excellent.

Ambergris has got very pretty reef diving.. its considerably affordable at about $25usd per dive. This goes to nearby reefs (5-10mins boatride) which are mainly Canyon diving... tacklebox, victoria, cypress etc. Accomodations can be reaaaal affordable. i stayed at Pedro's inn... really nothing much, but good enough since i was out the entire day diving and juz needed a bed to sleep. I would recommend Amigos or Protech (if the the dms i was w are still around though).

CayeCaulker unlike Ambergris, doesnt have nearby reef diving. They offer premiere dives as mentioned, trips to BlueHole, Turneff North/South etc. These trips are excellant and should be taken from CayeCaulker instead of Ambergris as its cheaper (nearer). I would recommend BelizeDivingServices or BigFish. I stayed at Tina's. An excellant backpackers hostel.

i did 23 dives in Belize spending my time on both Ambergris and Cayecaulker. If u are a rather new diver, itd be nice to start off on Ambergris before going for the more expensive trips from Cayecaulker. Ull hopefully enjoy more that way!

By the way, go DIY, its easy... forget about full board packages. u can get meals on Ambergris for like $2.50usd easily. And accomodations, juz surf the web its pretty comprehensive. Cheers!

DandyDon:
Hi GD - welcome to SB!

In your efforts to economize, do not take any packages with Aqua Dives - pretty bad.

I dove with Aqua Dives last year and had a decent experience. When did you dive with them, Don? And what was the problem?

Back
Top Bottom