Help with diving choices West Palm Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Txredneck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm from Texas, expecting to bring my son to WBP area first week of Mar 2013. I've spent hours on the internet trying to figure out a dive for my son and myself. Maybe some suggestions from others here? About us:

Son is almost 13 years old, we are new to diving, about 15 dives. Have experienced mild currents in Cancun (Isla Mujeres) on 6 dives. We've made two dives to 68', but most dives have been shallower 30'-40'. We dove Panama City Beach in Dec., comfortable with 30'-40' vis.

We are comfortable with mild currents but I understand that the WPB area can be what sounds like more than we've experienced. The past currents we've been in were anchored dives not drift. We've not drifted. We've never dove without a dive master except in area lakes.

I contacted a LDS in Pompano about taking a Drift dive specialty and it was recommended that I just spend that money hiring a private DM to make a couple of dives with us. We like both reef and wreck so long as there are critters present.

So my questions, considering our experience above:

From WBP to Jupiter, or down to Pompano, what would be recommended for:
Location, operator, preferred dive sites.

So far I think we'll try "United Caribbean" site. Then 2 more 2 tank dives...

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
+1 For Abernathy. With your son along and experience level I think this boat is a good fit. Rarely has the drift dives in WPB been an issue and when it has been, its been on wrecks. But I'm sure they can arrange a DM if, after talking with them, you decide its safest.

I think your son would enjoy most any of the WPB non wreck dives such as Breakers and Flower Garden.

If you get the chance, work on neutral buoyancy and review techniques to handling current, such as getting behind ledge/wreck, hug the bottom, don't fight the current, etc just in case you do find yourself in a stronger current then you are use to. Each will need his own SMB as well.

From my brief experience, most of the dive shops on WPB have a guide in the water with you because of them being drift dives. If you're going to try drift for the first time, I would suggest you guys get in some practice time with your SMB. The one I know for sure does is Force E divers. Also you can dive The World Famous Blue Heron Bridge

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/386645-blue-heron-bridge-trolls.html

Scuba Diving - West Palm Beach - Dive West Palm Beach's drift diving

They all do put a guide in the water and sometimes a second one to follow a group but if you are low on air early, you will likely have to go up on your own.

Dont know about Dolphin Sun....the boat looks like they bought it for the price of a lawn mower.

Absolutely correct. I don't know any of the owners or crew, but I have been out and seen them with divers in the water and no flag flying on the boat.

I have spent the better part of the last few days on the water and I have to say, several of the commercial dive boats in the area could use some maintenance. Lots of rust and rust stains, and Gelcoat oxidized. Aqua Therapy in Pompano is one of them. I have seen commercial kingfish boats that appear better maintained.

Back to the topic at hand, the United Carribean is a great dive. 3 wrecks (Sea Emporer, Nuola, and United Caribean) that one dive covers.

Call Dixie Divers, or Force E in Boca Raton. Either can put you on these wrecks and nearby reefs I promise you will enjoy.

The Loggerhead in Boynton can also put you on great reefs and wrecks (the Bud Bar and the Capt. Tony)

Get your 13 year old lobster snare and gauge and let him chase the bugs around. (check with the FWC but to the best of my knowledge children under 16 don't require a license, but if you accompany the child, I believe you are required to have one.) The Boca and Deerfield area have great reefs in the 30' depths.

Drift diving the reef, I don't think a guide is really necessary. The boat is going to stay in close proximity to your dive flag. It ain't rocket science. The one advantage is the guide holds the flag.

Drift dives are easy, you just go with the flow :). Only thing I would recommend is you both know how to deploy an SMB at depth while you hold your safety stop. Once you come up the boat will be ready for ya.

Boynton Beach has beautiful reefs, maximum depth about 60 feet. Underwater Explorers takes a maximum of 6 divers and has a DM in the water with the flag. Great place to start drift diving, and then you'll be hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom