Help with fish identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfish

New
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I were recently diving off of the Keith Tibbits (the destroyer wreck at Cayman Brac). I took a photo of two fish that we have been unable to identify. Please let me know what you think these fish are. One of them looks like a Spanish hogfish, but the tail appears to be the wrong color!

Thanks!

Tony

bfish:
Hello,

My wife and I were recently diving off of the Keith Tibbits (the destroyer wreck at Cayman Brac). I took a photo of two fish that we have been unable to identify. Please let me know what you think these fish are. One of them looks like a Spanish hogfish, but the tail appears to be the wrong color!

Thanks!

Tony

Spotted one is a Bermuda chub - Purple & yellow one is a Spanish Hogfish.
don't get wrapped up in color too much with fish - the Bermuda Chub rarely shows spots, for example, and can display them and erase them in half a heartbeat. The Hogfish has many phases and varieties in its color scheme as it grows... and that is one of 'em.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Spotted one is a Bermuda chub - Purple & yellow one is a Spanish Hogfish.
don't get wrapped up in color too much with fish - the Bermuda Chub rarely shows spots, for example, and can display them and erase them in half a heartbeat. The Hogfish has many phases and varieties in its color scheme as it grows... and that is one of 'em.
Rick

Rick,

Thanks! We appreciate the help!

Tony

rick nailed them

it's a spanish hogfish (the yellow and purple) and a bermuda or yellow chub, displaying
not-so-common white blotches ( i can't tell the difference between a bermuda and
a yellow chub)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom