Help with go pro 3 underwater settings with red filter, Caribbean, 30-80 ft. Protune?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good morning, Going to Belize, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Roatan, can't wait as I have dove solamons, Papua New Guinea, fiji, Australia, Hawaii and lots of other places but now want to start filming, just have a go pro 3, nothing fancy but as u know underwater is soooo amazing I would love to experiment a little. Have a vid on youtube on my channel tracy curammeng that I filmed in Hawaii this Nov. Your pics are amazing!

Thank you
Very nice all those places have excellent conditions and visibility, on that note I would recommend you stick to normal mode 1080p and forget about protune

Do you have a filter for your gopro?

Thanks for saying it was nice but there are so many, like yourself, excellent photographers out there I feel a little embarrassed showing my stuff. I used a go pro 2, now have a 3, and yes I used a red filter. I do have a red filter as well as a polarizer for my go pro 3. The footage was held held, now have a tray, excited!
Question...have heard people say to try 720p 60fps for a less shaky image on the bigger screen, thoughts??
I have options
1080p 60fps
720p 120fps, 100fps
1440p 48fps
960p 100fps

So many choices but goal is to have clarity and more editing ability at post besides trying to figure out protune at the moment, another time for that.

If you shake the footage is shaky no frame rate will help that a tray and good buoyancy will fix it
YouTube and most editing programs or player only support 1080p 24/25/30 depending on your tv system and that is what I recommend if your editing skills are basic
Once you know how to handle the camera and how to make the most of editing you can review this but at least you won't fill disks with files you will never get around to edit

Nice! Do you have any footage we can look at? Yes, the extra time is probably worth it for sure. Thanks and have a great time in the Turks!

Working on it! Just need the time! Current was very strong though so nearly impossible to get some slow moving shots. I might be able to get 2-3 minutes of "good" footage if I'm lucky. I'll try to make the time this weekend.

Really looking forward to the Turks. Last time there I had a PVC'esque enclosure for my older Sony HD camera but just some no name red filter. It was ok but heck of a time getting the colors right. At least it was something. Really looking forward to using the HC3.

To about 15" no filter will be fine, after that you will need a red filter to like someone else said loss of enough light (60-85' which could be pushing it on both counts)....
Make notes before every dive and after of above and below conditions....then compare to footage and you will start to get a good feel for what you will need before the dive...

Like the "notes" idea, thanks:rofl3:

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 05:35 PM ----------

That's great and yes the current is a factor for sure, keeps it interesting, post when u have some footage. I have only one scuba video from Hawaii when I was visiting family in Nov. youtube, Tracy Curammeng is my channel. Can't wait to make more. Off to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Caymen and Roatan in 3 days!:rofl3:

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice, I have a steady hand so should be good but as always takes practice as I have a new tray. Been diving for years so the buoyancy is fine, will play with the settings as mentioned. Cheers!:D

I used the settings I mentioned previously (1080 and 24fps) as that seemed like a decent compromise between file size etc and quality. I can't remember where it is but if you search the gopro forums someone has tested various settings and describes how best they can be used. 1080 and 24 came out well. I also considered how my videos would be viewed and pc screen, iPad or YouTube seemed most likely so shooting in very high res seemed pointless. All I can say is that I was able to get good footage of reefs in shallow water (with and without a filter) and captured the thresher sharks at 35-40m albeit with a blue colour cast. I'm happy.. I have a good record of my trip.

Balanus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 05:54 PM ----------

...however I think I should source/make a tray and handle as some of my footage is a tad wobbly. My buoyancy is well up to the task - been diving regularly for years but the go pro does need a way of holding such a tiny gizmo steady.

Next video trip will be the seals off Lundy Island in a few weeks.

Balanus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the update. We just made a tray, came out cool! Excited to test it out next week in Belize, Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Roatan. Just have to one underwater video at the moment, my channel is Tracy Curammeng. Filmed in Hawaii, Nov 2012. Hopefully u will post when all edited and good to go. Enjoy seeing peoples underwater footage. Have fun with the seals off Lundy, should be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom