help with picking a bp w/ wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sciondiver518

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
well as per the reccomendations of the fine memebers on this board i have decided to go with a back plate and wing style bcd im just looking right now but i am curious what brands are people using and what styles of harness's are you guys using

well as per the reccomendations of the fine memebers on this board i have decided to go with a back plate and wing style bcd im just looking right now but i am curious what brands are people using and what styles of harness's are you guys using

You might PM Tobin at DeepSeaSupply (DSS), he's cool_hardware52 on this board. They have good stuff.

Halcyon is considered the pinnacle, but you pay a pretty price.

There isn't very much difference is plates outside of material, it largely comes down to how much weight you want on your back. My FredT SS plate is about 6lbs, my Halcyon AL one is closer to 2lbs.

Wings vary, I'd personally go with a circular wing, they are easier to dump air from, again people can debate how much lift you need, but it's probably less than 30lbs for almost any singles rig.

You'll have to choose whether you want a Single Tank Adapter, I use one, but it's mostly for the added weight. If you choose to go without one, you'll have to get a wing with some sort of stabalizer built in.

I use a simple Webbing harness, I have the Halcyon "kit" on my Al plate and one I put together from parts on my FredT plate. The only thing I'll note here is that the webbing on the Halcyon "kit" isn't as heavy as the generic rolls of webbing I have, and as a result I actually prefer it. Honestly though there is sod all difference once the webbing is wet so I wouldn't conside the Halcyon worth the additional cost.

My first BP&W was entirely Halyon, but they are expensive and there are comparable products from other manufacturers, I'm sure others can chime in.

Essentially any of the manufacturers make a decent product. DSS, as Jax mentioned is a favorite of many on the boards because of the great service Tobin provides. Halcyon makes gear that many are loyal fans. But OMS, Oxycheq, Hollis, Zeagle, and the many others I'm missing make quality gear. It really comes down to feature, functionality and budget.

I personally have Halcyon because I got a great deal at the time. If I was buying now at typical prices, DSS and Hollis would be my top options with Oxycheq a close third.

I second the DSS recommendation, though I've not tried any other brands. I have three plate/harness sets and two wings from them. Let Tobin know your current config (tank, exposure, weighting) and he'll hook you up with what you need.

My favorite feature of my DSS plate (besides Tobin) is the ability to add bolt-on weight plates. As a big California diver, I need a load of ballast and the weight plates make my weight belt manageable.

For doubles I use a Halcyon plate. For single tanks I prefer my Freedom Plate from Eric Sedletzky. It's formed to fit the spine and curved at the ribs and shoulder blades. I don't even notice I have a 119 on my back. With both plates I use a one piece Hogarthian harness.
freedom-mach2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been diving a HOG backplate and 32# wing, and I have to say it's fantastic! Well built and reasonably priced. Complete package, with harness, D-rings, etc, much more reasonably priced than some of the other places mentioned. Contact the guys at Dive Right In Scuba, they'll hook you right up and you'll get fast, friendly service!

I have OMS and DR SS, and an OMS AL plate, as well as a 'home made' SS plate. Happy with them all. I use SS for everything except steel doubles, wetsuit diving, for which I use AL. As for harnesses, I HAD (until it was recently stolen) an OMS deluxe harness with dual quick-releases on the shoulder straps. OK, but unnecessary extras. Most of my harnesses are single pieces of 2 inch webbing purchased from my LDS, to which I added chest D-rings, hip D-rings and a buckle, and put in a brass grommet. The exception, I added a single shoulder QR to my AL plate harness. Simple is good.

I use a Zeagle setup. I have a SS BP and I use a Manta Bladder for my doubles and a Zeagle single tank wing with a single tank adapter use use my 80's. For a harness I use the deluxe version. I found it easier to get out of on the boat after a long dive. The single webbing harness to me was harder to get in and out of. The buckles around the shoulders make it quite a bit easier, this also applies to most harnesses out there. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom