Help with picking a primary dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottb27

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be getting my night diving cert soon and need to pick out a primary light. My cert dives will be done in the carribean, and have other night dives scheduled for off Virginia Beach later this year. Is a canister my best choice to have as a primary or can I use a smaller light?

I currently have a UK sl4, which has done me well so far. My budget is around $700 max for a light. I can get another small light and use that, or should I go for something like a Hollis 15w led? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Light output for a night dive isn't as critical as in day time. Too much light can actually be an issue for night diving. If you target is for night dive in caribean, assumming high viz water, I don't think you a canister light. Not sure what kind of water in VA beach.

I have used a 21W HID in Thailand, it produces way way too much light for a night dive. My eyes acutally felt hurt from the intensity. I then switched to a Hollis LED5, even that is too much light. In day time tho, bringing 21W HID was one of the best decision I made for that trip.

Back
Top Bottom