Help with Ranger setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anteater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I have a Zeagle Ranger and I just can't seem to get everything dialed in, I am not sure if it is the BCD, the regulator or the tank (or a combination of the three). The plastic dump valve behind the left shoulder always hits and rubs against the top of the tank. I have an issue with the top of the BCD pushing on the hoses from the first stage regulator and the BCD hose hitting the low pressure inflator hose coming out of the regulator, I think this can be resolved by using a larger/taller tank (currently a HP80) where I can move first stage higher up and off the top of the BCD. Using a longer tank like an AL80 I still find the dump valve hitting the tank though, is that okay?

I have pictures because it is sort of hard to explain. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

2013-02-20_22-36-31_302-L.jpg

2013-02-20_22-37-27_877-XL.jpg

2013-02-20_22-46-15_190-L.jpg

What size is the Ranger? What is your height/build, etc.?

My buddy has almost the exact same set up you do, (atomic swivel down, ranger, ss1) and doesn't have that problem. But he doesn't have an HP80. I think you could clear the lp hose by moving it one more port to the right but I don't have a suggestion for the dump valve hitting the tank. Unless the hose itself is pushing it down into the tank when pressurized.

I have an XL Ranger and a T2 with the swivel down and don't have that problem but I use a standard inflator not the SS1. My inflator hose does sort of loop out more than yours does also. (I think, I've never really noticed u/w)

I wonder if the lp hose is pulling up on the dump valve from the other end when it's under pressure enough to cause that problem. But I doubt it, the corrugated hose doesn't look too tight in the 2nd picture.

The BCD is a medium I believe, I can double check later. I am 6ft. about 170 pounds, not overweight. I can move the BCD up a bit more but have more problems with the hoses being pushed up on from the top of the BCD. I can try moving the low pressure inflator hose over to the right one, it will stick out more but I guess would be okay. I am thinking of switching to a HP100 instead of the HP80.

I use the same setup , same tank , same bcd ( zeagle tech ) It is important to slide the bcd tank straps right to the bottom of the tank.

If it is still not right you may want to remove the boot , I had the same problem if I left any space between the boot and tanks strap , good luck

Once you get it how you like it. Set the carry handle like strap on top to just the right length to where it fits over the tank valve.

This way it will put the tank in the same place every time.

The BCD is a medium I believe, I can double check later. I am 6ft. about 170 pounds, not overweight. I can move the BCD up a bit more but have more problems with the hoses being pushed up on from the top of the BCD. I can try moving the low pressure inflator hose over to the right one, it will stick out more but I guess would be okay. I am thinking of switching to a HP100 instead of the HP80.

The reason I asked was it looked to be rather "snug" or "small" to me in the photograph. That could just have been the angle of the photograph.

I use the same setup , same tank , same bcd ( zeagle tech ) It is important to slide the bcd tank straps right to the bottom of the tank.

If it is still not right you may want to remove the boot , I had the same problem if I left any space between the boot and tanks strap , good luck

Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem. I tried mounting the BCD lower on the tank as you suggest (I need to ditch the boot or get a longer tank) and that resolves the issues with the first stage and hoses bent out of place due to the BCD and rear deflation valve. The swivel can now swivel with the higher mounted tank and the first stage is still far enough away I won't hit it with my head (although I can't reach it). The rear plastic deflation valve still rubs a bit on the tank but if I move the BCD to the top of the tank to resolve that then I have issues with the first stage again. Is there a way to adjust the BCD so it sits higher up on your back?

The reason I asked was it looked to be rather "snug" or "small" to me in the photograph. That could just have been the angle of the photograph.
Yea, size medium. I tried a large on at the dive shop when I bought it but that was too big. It is a weird angle, I was sort of bending over to take the picture.

Thanks for the help everyone, it is really appreciated.

I use an Oceanic FDX10 1st stage, which is similar in configuration, on a medium Ranger. I initially had problems because the low pressure inflator hose was too short. It bound on the wing and I had to raise the tank on the BC to the point where it hit the back of my head. This also had the effect of messing with my trim in the water. I purchased a longer hose and am now able to have the top band at the uppermost part of the tank.

In the picture, it looks like the LP hose is binding the wing and is tight on your shoulder. To test this, disconnect the inflator hose and don the BCD and tank. Make sure that the tank is as low as possible in the bands. Now measure the distance from the end of the low pressure hose to where it connects on the low pressure inflator. Make sure that the wing is inflated when you do this. I would be willing to bet that you will need an inflator hose at least 6 inches longer than the one you have.

Good Luck, I love my setup now that I have the proper length hose on it.

Back
Top Bottom