Help with Roatan???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benmk19

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get any info on places to stay for a week or longer in Roatan. I'm looking for a decent hotel, with a good dive shop and hopefully on the beach. I'm not looking for an all inclusive, I want to be close enough to town to go into town and have dinners and explore the shops and town. I have looked at Anthony's Key, Inn of last resort, and a few others. Any suggestions???? I'm not looking for an upscale resort away from everything. Thank you!!!

We are going to be at the Inn of Last Resort April 26 - May 3. We chose there because of the moderate price, closeness to town and the overall reputation of the owner / operators.

There have been a couple of less than golwing reports but there are also more people who have great experiences, go back themselves and recommend the resort highly. If you go on "Caribbean Time", relax and enjoy, it is all good.

ILR is inclusive, but the cost for us, $695 + taxes for a week, is low enough I expect to go to town any time we feel like it without worry about the cost.

When are you thinking about going?

Look at Anthony's Key Resort - they were FABULOUS when I was there last Sept. I have also heard that Fantasy Island Resort is nice, too.

I was wondering if I could get any info on places to stay for a week or longer in Roatan. I'm looking for a decent hotel, with a good dive shop and hopefully on the beach.

Hotel, with a dive op, not a shop per-se , on the beach? FIBR.

I'm not looking for an all inclusive,

Not FIBR then. Nor IoLR, BIBR or AKR, not CCV.

I want to be close enough to town to go into town and have dinners and explore the shops and town.

"Town" is Coxen Hole, but you probably mean West End... that's where by far the greatest cluster of entertainment is.

I have looked at Anthony's Key, Inn of last resort, and a few others.

Ummm, those are AI's... I'm confused, now.

Any suggestions???? I'm not looking for an upscale resort away from everything.

If you were, that might be Paya Bay but it's quite spotty and is where god lost his shoes.

Thank you!!!

"not looking for an upscale resort away from everything"

I think you might do with one of the many of the guest houses on West End. they are near the beach, the nightlife and restaurants, a couple have associated dive operations, and so on.

others more knowledgeable will jump in.

Pdixon, have you gone to the Inn of Last Resort yet? What did you think? We've been eyeing that as a potential place to stay, but aren't familiar with Roatan.
Roatanman, where are the west end guest houses? How can we find information on them?
We're trying to decide between returning to Cozumel or going someplace new (Roatan) for our next trip. However, we're poor :) and want the most bang for our buck.

Honestly Id recomend makeing the lodgeing reservations someplace then shop for a dive shop when you get there. west end is got a "couple" (about 12 or so) to choice from. go in and talk to the shop manager and let them know what it is that you are wanting to do. descuss prices, dive times, and any courses your wanting to do (if any). I stayed in some apartments just up the lane from Inn of last resort, and had about a 15-20 min walk in to West End, and normally took a Cab home at night. Unless your wanting to something like a DM or rescue course then you may want to talk to the dive op before hand.

thats my $.02

Pdixon, have you gone to the Inn of Last Resort yet? What did you think? We've been eyeing that as a potential place to stay, but aren't familiar with Roatan.
Roatanman, where are the west end guest houses? How can we find information on them?
We're trying to decide between returning to Cozumel or going someplace new (Roatan) for our next trip. However, we're poor :) and want the most bang for our buck.

megest77, we have not been there yet. But only two months away! The dates for our trip to Roatan and the Inn of Last Resort are April 26 - May 5.

I still have a couple of openings, come on and join us. Travel to new places is always less stressful with a group of friendly divers. And I booked the group last year so we have locked in last years price.

Great advice already given here. Depends on your Budget. My personal favourites at time of writing are cocolobo, arco iris and casa del sol, listed highest to lowest in price and quality of accomodation.

As for dive shops, get there and shop around, but it may be worth sending a few of them an email just to make sure they are not getting to booked up. The better ones such as coconut tree, whos facilities i use to teach tec diving, and occasionally DM for can get fully booked.

Also make sure you choose a shop that supports the marine park, it really does do a great job one dive shop in particular has been singled out recently. It isn't the only one that deserves that negative press though!

Back
Top Bottom