help with selling your regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
i know you're not going to want to hear this, but if you want to sell your regs on the internet, you have to drop your prices.

you'll be very hard pressed to find anyone to buy your reg above dealer cost. cost is usually 50% of new. that's a good starting point.

for those that work in the insustry, instructors and dive masters, they will probably get "keyman" discount which is about 20% below dealer cost. since many of these guys can service their own regs, get their regs serviced for free or for parts cost, there has to be a greater incentive to buy -- like an out of this world deal!

it doesn't matter if you've only had one dive on it or it is still new in the box, the reg MUST be serviced before diving on it. it's life support equipment and since you are not the original owner, it is a good idea. typical service for a 1st, 2nd, and parts kits should be less than $100, but shops' service pricing varies greatly. deduct $100 from dealer cost.

don't forget about manufacturer's warranty, free parts for life programs, and advice... you don't get that if you buy used -- you get "as-is", you pay for the parts, and opinions... deduct $120-$240 for 3-6 years worth of parts cost. some divers keep their regs longer, and if you do, the cost of owning vs. renting starts to become better.

buy locally...!!! that usually means your local dive shop, but it could mean from other divers you know. this means sell locally, too. not only does that mean you could help out a friend, but you/they are likely to know the reg's history, and you/they might get a better price -- a few extra bucks in your pocket. TRY TO SELL YOUR STUFF TO THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW. if you wouldn't sell it to them, why would you sell it to a stranger! often some of the people you know want to upgrade.

there are probably dozens of other reasons others might opt in and mention, but if you want to sell, you have to make it reasonable.

I'm not posting this to discourage buyers, rather, to help sellers sell their stuff... hope it helps.

it doesn't matter if you've only had one dive on it or it is still new in the box, the reg MUST be serviced before diving on it. it's life support equipment . . .

:rofl3: Haha, that was a good one. Tell me another :wink:

it doesn't matter if you've only had one dive on it or it is still new in the box, the reg MUST be serviced before diving on it. it's life support equipment . . .

:rofl3: Haha, that was a good one. Tell me another :wink:
When you buy a new car do you get the brakes overhauled before driving it?

Yeah I remember someone on here posting a good rule of thumb.

Great condition used Scuba gear (especially reg components) - 50% off from what you can get it for new right now is an good deal, 30-40% off from what you can get it for new right now is a very good deal, less than 25% of what you can get it for new right now is stealing.

Of course some things hold their value better than others, and depending on demand, i.e. right before Christmas or Summer, prices go up. Also the well loved stuff trends a bit higher, i.e AL legend, Atomics B2, Nice BPW setups. I also find that used computers trend to be higher priced than the above parameters. It just depends how quickly you want to sell it, etc. You can usually get a bit more on ebay (which I have told disgruntled local sellers), but then you have to factor in paypal, chance of a crappy buyer, taking it to the post office,etc. Sometimes its worth it.

I have been kitting up for the two of us for awhile now since our next trip is not till May so I can be more choosey about prices, but as May approaches I would be more willing to pay more or buy something new.

Colorado is big on SNIAGRAB for skiing and snowboarding, I wish we had something similar for scuba gear! I would way rather buy local and would pay a bit more since there is no shipping and I can see it in person before buying.

When you buy a new car do you get the brakes overhauled before driving it?

No, but when I buy a used car I pull the wheels so I can check the pads and rotors for wear and warping, do an oil change with new filters all around, and throw in new plugs, wires, and a cap on anything that gets spark via a distributor. Or I buy certified pre-owned

But since I don't service my own regs yet, I still need to pay for the service, or buy from someone I dive with and trust...

for those that work in the insustry, instructors and dive masters, they will probably get "keyman" discount which is about 20% below dealer cost. since many of these guys can service their own regs, get their regs serviced for free or for parts cost, there has to be a greater incentive to buy -- like an out of this world deal!

Hahahaha, 20% below dealer cost. More like 20% below retail in many cases. Name the mfg who are selling at 20% below dealer cost.

scubapro... it's their regular keyman special

If I have a new reg with say, less than 20 dives on it and I am supposed to take a >50% hit trying to sell it? It will rot in my closet before you will buy it at that price. IJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom