Help with video lights ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone:

I have an underwater DSLR set-up (Canon T3i in Ikelite housing) and I would like to shoot video with it. Can anyone tell me what are my u/w video lighting options? Cheap and basic is what I am looking for at this point. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I went cheap for now with a pair of Archon D11V's, ARCHON D11V (W17V) Underwater Photographing Diving Flashlight Torch (2*CR123/1*18650) - ARCHON Flashlights - Brand led Flashlights - LED Flashlight & Lasers Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I haven't tested them at depth yet but initially they seem pretty good especially for the price. You can check my review of them so far here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/463531-archon-d11v-video-light-review.html

If and when I have the money, i'll be looking into some Sola lights. If you can afford those, get them, they are excellent lights from what I gather.

Being Cheap !!! cost more in the long run trust me I know from experience :(

In general I agree, but when it comes to video lights, it can be a different ball game.

Have you watched video footage shot with a filter vs. $500 lights, $1000 lights, $2000 lights, $4000 lights ? Cheap is relative and technology has evolved to create a lot of competition and value for your dollar compared to a few years ago.

Maybe 1st decide what kind of shooting you will be doing and what you want your footage to look like. Macro, wide angle, caves, etc..

Lighting for macro and night dives is the easiest and cheapest. Things go up in price very quickly from here.

Last edited:
Here are some to consider... the Bigblue VL1300 and VL1800M, and the Intova Galaxy which just launched. All three offer strong performance at their price points. Good luck and post your videos when you have some.

My interest is primarily in wide angle wreck and shark photography. For these lighting is mostly used to light up the foreground. Archon D-11 V seems like a good point to start with.

Those Archon D-11's look like an incredible deal at $52. The Archon D32 at $150 looks pretty good too. There are a few posts and uw videos shot with the D32 around. As long as the build quality of the light holds up, seems like you can't lose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom