Henderson combo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Love, love my Henderson 7mm Hyper-Ti comfort and ease of donning/doffing although, below bout 58Ž°, it's just not as warm as others - no problem, it's a trade. I dive in socal between 50Ž°/70Ž°.

Real problem is I want to keep the comfort aspect because no other suit comes close. So, I was wondering, in the <58Ž° range, has anybody added a 3mm jacket over the top of their 7mm?

It's a combo I don't think Ive seen but it seems like a great idea. I've tried a 3mm vest underneath and it's ok but becomes more constricting because it's compressed underneath. Not a big deal but I thought going over the top might be better and a jacket has more warmth than a vest. Thoughts?

I dive with a Henderson hyperstretch 7mm normaly. When it gets very cold, I had a 7mm hooded vest Bare Velocity. and when it gets very cold, I had neoprene socks and an underskin made of polyolefin. With that, I can last for 1hour in a 36F cold water.

I have a Bare Arctic 7mm suit and the matching 7mm hooded vest. The temps up here are dropping. Been in 48 and 46 degree water for 50 minutes. Having the second layer really helps to keep you warm. My fingers and toes were the cold parts.

I have a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch suit that I bought for the same fit/ease of donning reason. When it's cold, I put a hooded Hyperstretch vest (5 mm hood/3mm vest) on TOP of the Henderson. The hood seals well to my face and really does a great job of keeping the water out of the suit. I come out almost dry inside. Combined with some 5mm gloves and 7 mm boots, I did a 66 minute dive in 52 degree water last week. I was toasty for most of the dive, maybe just a little cool, but not cold or shivering, for the last 5-7 minutes. For me, the key was keeping the water out, which the hooded vest does way better than a normal hood shoved inside the suit. So, I would say that if you got a hooded jacket or vest, you'd be really happy. Otherwise, certainly anything you add to your core will help.

I have a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch suit that I bought for the same fit/ease of donning reason. When it's cold, I put a hooded Hyperstretch vest (5 mm hood/3mm vest) on TOP of the Henderson.

I do the same in reverse. I use an Akona 5mm hooded vest, but underneath. It worked well last year but my suit has another 50 dives on it this year and I just don't get the same warmth.

I went with a Pinnacle 7mm Elasto-Merino because it was on sale for $280 (2nd gen, new design). I couldn't pass it up. I haven't dove with it yet but donning it dry isn't nearly as easy as my Hendersen. Although, my Hendersen had 80+ dives to "limber up" so it's not yet a fair comparison. We'll see how it feels after a dozen dives, or so.

Last time I dove Catalina Island, CA water temp were low 60's F. I dove a 7m Henderson hyperstretch with a 3m Henderson hyperstretch core warmer underneath and a 5m Henderson hyperstretch hood. I'd be lying if I said I was toasty warm on every dive (I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water), but at least I could enjoy my 45 - 60 minute dives without being utterly miserable.

I often wear the 3m core warmer under my 3m Henderson hyperstretch full suit if I'm doing repetitive dives in mid-70's water over several days. That combo is easier to doff and don than my 7m by itself.

What's a good price for the Henderson Hyperstretch..? My LDS sells the 5mm for $399 and when I was looking at them yesterday I promised him that I would buy one from his shop, but I'm curious as to how much of his mortgage I'm contributing to... :wink:

-Tim

Back
Top Bottom