Herd Immunity in Indonesia

Would you travel to Indonesia after they have accomplished herd immunity?

• Yes

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 62.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then there's this. Would you happily bring a worse plight to the Indonesian people?

Easily the most obvious troll since @idocsteve. Let’s just ignore his ignorant and inflammatory posts. Feeding the troll just encourages more insane posts.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is a friendly site that depends on mutual respect.

Bullying remarks have been removed and the member thread banned.

Several of us had a 3+ week trip planned to Indonesia in April this year. We moved it to March 2021, losing some money. We are now moving it again to March 2022, probably losing some more money. Our hope is to wait until we are vaccinated before we travel again. Internet accounts of "herd immunity" are hardly trustworthy. One disadvantage of being a scientist is my decisions are driven by verifiable facts, not rants or tabloids or blatant bias or pollyanna-like optimism.

Several of us had a 3+ week trip planned to Indonesia in April this year. We moved it to March 2021, losing some money. We are now moving it again to March 2022, probably losing some more money. Our hope is to wait until we are vaccinated before we travel again. Internet accounts of "herd immunity" are hardly trustworthy. One disadvantage of being a scientist is my decisions are driven by verifiable facts, not rants or tabloids or blatant bias or pollyanna-like optimism.

I had one booked right now, moved it to April 2021 and I really doubt it is going to happen so it may also get moved to late 2021 or 2022. Would I like to go now, sure, but think I will follow health professionals advice and stay home - not follow advice from those same tabloids, internet trolls or the like. Afraid, not particularly for me or my partner, but the number of people in my orbit that are at risk is very high so I think I will choose to protect them as opposed to personal gratification.

I think there is a deductive fallacy to view an improving survival rate of infected people as evidence of decreasing the societal risk of the virus. We may very well have over-estimated the risk of the virus, but find me an illness where lethality increased as we learned more about it? Reducing lethality is evidence of the rate medical science learns, to suggest it is evidence of something more would require supporting data.

Medical teams are getting exceptionally good at treatments, drugs at very precise times to treat specific symptoms, the way patients are ventilated and the careful timing of when ventilated patients are flipped prone. Indonesian medical teams are as good as anywhere but are the facilities coping? When I travel I depend on locals having herd immunity, given many illnesses vary enough from the antigens my body is prepared for. There is enough variation in the SARS-COV-2 virus to easily trace the different outbreaks within Melbourne. I don't understand how the genomic mutations related to immunity once infected, but I would not presume that herd immunity will be internationally transferable. We'll see how effective a suite of vaccines is, along with other considerations, to figure out how we live with it as another virus in the world. Slowly waiting for the virus to indiscriminately bump off the elderly is as much general apathy as a strategy, perhaps more of a Thanos-lite strategy. You won't shield them, its replication rate is too high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom