Here is a glove jig for dry gloves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I built this jig shortly after we went to dry glove about 15 years ago. It's just a piece of scrap plastic pipe.

It makes changing gloves on the rings a 5-minute easy job. Use the small end for the gloves and the big end for the suit.

It’s easy to use. For the suit just position the ring in the suit. Put the O-ring on the tube. Set the ring in the suit on the big end of the pipe and roll the O-ring into the grove.

For gloves position the ring in the glove. Put the O-ring on the tube. Put the ring with the glove on the small end and roll the O-ring into the grove.

I put a partition in the tube so I can put a glove over the big end and add a little air. Makes it easy to find leaks.

Length doesn’t matter but the end diameters do. Mine is 9” long, 4 3/8” inside on the big end and 3 7/8” inside on the small end.

Sure makes life easy and it’s a one-person job.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14253
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14254

Gary D.

Chuck Tribolet:
So how did you make it?
It's just the female end of a scrap piece of plastic sewer pipe. All I did was put the bulkhead in it and the valve stem. Other than that it's ready made.

It works so well that nobody will change their own gloves without it.

Gary D.

Chuck Tribolet:
I've seen flared ends on PVC pipe before, but I've never seen one
with that extra rib on the outside in the middle of the flared out
part.

The sewer pipe shown is a pipe used in streets not in houses. the extra rib has a rubber gasket inside it. You would probably have to get this pipe from a pipe supplier or a utility contractor, if you know one.

TT :wink:

Also used in agriculture, if you know where an irrigation suppy store is. Wish I had the problem of needing to cahnge out dry gloves :D

Uncle Pug:
Gary... it isn't readily apparent to me how this would be used to install Diving Concepts Rings. Perhaps you are using something different.

I'd be interested in knowing which type of rings you're using this on. I'd certainly like to find an easier way of changing gloves on the Diving Concepts system...

Mike Newman:
I'd be interested in knowing which type of rings you're using this on. I'd certainly like to find an easier way of changing gloves on the Diving Concepts system...

http://scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1814641&postcount=9

The thread above outlines it. I no longer need the duct tape training wheels, and can do a complete R&R in about 10 minutes or less. Text from the thread is below. The key to installing the Mediums, I've found, is to cut off the brown piping around the glove edge - makes it a lot easier, as the glove has some stretch but the piping has nearly zero.

---
Ken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first time took me about 20 minutes (of course, add in the 2+ hours to make three tools... the first two of which didn’t work!) The subsequent replacements have taken about 8 minutes each with my new and improved tool.

With my home made DC Tool I can do the replacements by myself. Here's the deal:

• This website was VERY HELPFUL. This site lit the fuse and gave me the confidence to do this myself. There are a couple of other sites out there showing you how to replace the gloves on the glove-side rings, but this is the best of the bunch. The tool described needs some improvement. Here are the specifics to Kenny's DC Glove Tool:

• I sawed off the end of a CAP of 4.5" ABS pipe. This makes the outside diameter 5". In the first two versions, I used the actual ABS pipe - and it just wasn't large enough. By using the CAP, you get a ring that is a little larger. This is very important, as you want the tool as large as possible, but small enough to fit through the glove-side ring. This is the perfect size. Just lop off a ¾” ring from the end of the CAP.

59766946.DCGloveTool1.jpg

• I rounded the edges of the tool with a surform file. This makes it SO much easier to maneuver once inside the glove, as its smooooov. This was the first big change I made that made things much easier. I could drive it deeper into the glove with less effort – so I wasn’t risking rolling off the O-Ring.

59767104.DCGloveToolDetail.jpg

• I cut a groove into the tool with a small file. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE TOOL. By cutting a small groove around the center of the tool, the O-Ring doesn't slip out as you're working the tool into the glove and while you’re moving the tool into position. This is what changed everything and took this to an 8 minute operation.

• When I'm ready to compress the tool and roll on the O-Ring, I simply place the O-Ring into the groove and loosely duct tape the O-Ring to the bottom of the tool. This serves as a pair of second hands, allowing me to simultaneously compress the tool and work the O-Ring around the tool. Once the O-Ring is threaded onto the tool, I take off the Duct Tape. *** Remember: All of this is easier if you lube the O-Ring slightly with O-Ring Lube. I’m a photographer, so I have tubes of the stuff. If you don’t, you can use Cristo Lube in a pinch. ***
59767418.GloveToolDuctTape.jpg

Above are the only variants to the instructions on the attached website. The rest of the instructions are clear and easy to follow.

Hope this helps. PM me with any questions. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve replaced lots of gloves onto the Glove-Side rings. It’s a no brainer now.

XL and L sizes are the easiest. If your dive buddy insists on diving gloves that fit (the nerve of some people) and wants you to install Mediums, prepare for a longer install peppered with the occasional curse word (OK… maybe more than occasional.) About 10 minutes into the first Medium glove I broke out wifie’s craft heat gun to soften up the PVC and it made a HUGE difference in installing the Medium Gloves demanded by my princess-buddy with the teeny hands.

The second Medium took about 8 minutes and I didn't turn nearly as red opening up the tool in the glove, as I had thoroughly warmed it with the heat gun. No heat required when doing Large or XL.

Enjoy.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom