Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know the size of the holes, but keep the size of the ship in mind. Relative to the height of the hand rail, for example, the holes may be bigger than you think.

I suggest we inspect them soon. (after sinking :D)

Unless those are semi-tractor trailer tires on that equipment on deck, those are small swim throughs. Based on previous articles, there aren't going to be any swim throughs, just holes to vent air/water as the ship sinks to assure that it lands keel down.

Awesome!!! I've always wanted to snorkel the Vandenburg. :) How long of a snorkel should I buy?

At least a 41 foot snorkel, then you can reach the top at 40 ft. Don't forget to get the snorkel O2 cleaned for that depth :D:)

Hmm, seems on the small side... I'm used to them being cut WAY more generously... figure enough for a side by side egress by two 'clumsy' divers....

Unless those are semi-tractor trailer tires on that equipment on deck, those are small swim throughs. Based on previous articles, there aren't going to be any swim throughs, just holes to vent air/water as the ship sinks to assure that it lands keel down.

Yeah... I don't think they wanted a large inviting hole that would attract under-skilled divers to enter the hull and get lost...

from what I read, the holes were just for venting air in the idea that it would help settle the ship in an upright condition.

they are also ballasting the bottom of the ship to help keep it "keel down" during the sinking.

Yeah... I don't think they wanted a large inviting hole that would attract under-skilled divers to enter the hull and get lost...

The only thing worse than that is a hole that is big enough for a diver to think he can fit through but small enough for him to get stuck.

The only thing worse than that is a hole that is big enough for a diver to think he can fit through but small enough for him to get stuck.

good point...

being stuck on the outside not being able to get in is one thing.... but being stuck on the inside of that hole, well, I wonder how long before that kills someone?

Yes the hole's are small. But some of them are big enough to get though. After being on her all day Saturday I think that there is more the enough for openwater divers to do. Because they will be in a OW. setup and they will have more time on the upper deck. The stuff below that sould be for the divers that can do that kind of diving. She is going to be one cooooooooool dive. I can not wait. I will be back on her the 15 to do some more work. :D

Yes the hole's are small. But some of them are big enough to get though. After being on her all day Saturday I think that there is more the enough for openwater divers to do. Because they will be in a OW. setup and they will have more time on the upper deck. The stuff below that sould be for the divers that can do that kind of diving. She is going to be one cooooooooool dive. I can not wait. I will be back on her the 15 to do some more work. :D

I'd just like to avoid having to take off bailout bottles to enter and exit...

I'd just like to avoid having to take off bailout bottles to enter and exit...

I do know what you mean. But they did not seal up any of the ways to enter the wreck you should like it alot.

sinking date pushed back from the 21st till the 26th - June 1st.

from Officials Set Date For Ship To Sink Near Key West - cbs4.com

Officials Set Date For Ship To Sink Near Key West

To Be Sunk Between May 26 & June 1

KEY WEST (CBS4 - Organizers said that the sinking of the Gen. Hoyt S Vandenberg ship will take place between May 26 and June 1. The ship will be sunk about seven miles south of Key West in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Once it's sunk, it will slowly turn into a reef. The Vandenberg arrived in Key West on April 22

The Vandenberg is currently docked behind the USS Mohawk in the East Quay Wall in Truman Annex Harbor while it undergoes preparations for its sinking. Workers will begin cutting hundreds of holes in the ship's decks and sides to ensure it sinks upright.

"Not only will it be the second largest ship in the world ever intentionally sunk to become an artificial reef, but it is of huge historical significance," said Key West Mayor Morgan McPherson. "It will become the southernmost underwater museum on the historic trail of intentionally sunken ships off the Florida Keys."

The city bought the Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg for $1.35 million. The process of acquiring the ship and getting it here from Norfolk, Va., has taken more than a decade. Almost three quarters of the project's $8.6 million price tag were used to rid the vessel of contaminants.

Pollutants removed include 71 cubic yards of asbestos, 193 tons of materials that contained potentially carcinogenic substances, 46 tons of refuse, 300 pounds of mercury-containing materials and 185 55-gallon drums of paint chips, officials said.

The Vandenberg is steeped in history. The vessel was originally the U.S. Naval Ship Harry Taylor which transported U.S. troops fighting in World War II, but was re-commissioned as the Vandenberg in 1963. It was then converted for the purposes of defending the U.S. against missile atta
cks and served as part of the Atlantic Missile Range force during the 1960s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom