Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefmakers had planned to display the one (and only) propeller on land, but it was sold off by the same shipyard that put her up for auction and there was nothing that could be done at the time.

They have cut several (4 ft ?) holes in the sides already. These can be see from the dock. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

If any shops need to stock up on Cylinders, DIN Valves, Manifolds, Bands, etc. please keep Faber in mind! (too subtle?)

Fox
As you may know, Red is part of the Safety/Clearance team, so he would be a great speaker for your club...

Some recent news stories that haven't been posted in this thread yet.

Last stop above sea level | KeysNews.com

Last stop above sea level
Workers prepare Vandenberg for sinking

By MANDY BOLEN Citizen Staff
Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The next time most area media representatives get an up-close view of the Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg, they will be wearing fins and dive tanks rather than steel-toed boots and hard hats.

Experts will sink the ship as an artificial reef sometime between May 21 and June 1, said Andy Newman, a spokesman for the Monroe County Tourist Development Council.

Wind, weather and continued onboard preparations play the biggest role in determining when a fleet of tugboats will guide the behemoth ship out of Key West Harbor and position her six miles offshore.

The sink plan calls for the ship to be towed to its position in the morning, anchored there overnight and then scuttled the next morning, said Artificial Reefs of the Keys founder Joe Weatherby, who launched the project more than 10 years ago and faced countless obstacles. [ROB O’NEAL/The Citizen]

About 30 members of the media and dive industry on Monday climbed aboard the 522-foot former military ship, peering into hatchways soon to be populated by fish, and standing on decks that next will be seen through a dive mask.

The tour was followed by a press conference, during which Weatherby detailed the tedious cleaning of the ship -- including the removal of 1 million linear feet of wire and 81 bags of asbestos.

Crews continue to prepare the ship for sinking while it is docked at Truman Waterfront. Holes are being cut in the hull to regulate the influx of water and escape of air during the sinking.

In order to ensure the ship lands upright on the ocean floor, scientists from the New Jersey-based Stevens Institute of Technology have created several models to simulate possible scenarios. The ship also came equipped with 6 million extra pounds of concrete and pig-iron ballast in the bottom of the hull, Weatherby said.

"In technical terms, we've 'weeblized' the ship," he said.

Once a team of expert clearance divers ensures all cutting charges have detonated -- they actually count the number of holes in the ship -- then Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary divers will attach seven mooring balls to the wreck, sanctuary representative Kent Edwards said.

"You can see right through the sides of the ship, it's pretty cool," Weatherby said. The ship will sit in 140 feet of water on a sandy bottom to limit the amount of silt that gathers inside. Amateur divers and, on a clear day, snorkelers will have a good view of the ship's superstructure and radar towers, which will be in 40 feet of water.

Fishing also will be permitted on the wreck, said sanctuary biologist Bill Horn.

The $8.5 million project has had its ups and downs over the past decade and was almost "sunk" several times over, said Key West City Commissioner Bill Verge, who took over as government liaison for the project about two years ago.

"I know this has been my dream, but I know it's been every one of your nightmares," Weatherby said, thanking Verge, along with Monroe County Commissioner Mario Di Gennaro and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Chairman Rodney Barreto.

"All I have to say to Bill Verge is, 'I'm sorry, man.' We've had an amazing array of ever smaller and ever more flaming hoops to jump through," Weatherby said. "I'm biased, but I think this is the finest product ever produced for scuba diving."

Round-the-clock watch keeps Vandenberg safe | KeysNews.com

Round-the-clock watch keeps Vandenberg safe

By Mandy Bolen Citizen Staff
Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dive instructors and advanced scuba students from the Florida Keys Community College are helping mitigate safety concerns aboard the Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg while the reef-to-be is docked at Truman Waterfront.

The students and instructors are joining the paid security staff that remains on board at all times to monitor the ship for flood or fire.

"We're all used to watching out for a buddy while diving, and this gives our students and instructors an insider's knowledge of the ship they eventually will be diving and leading others around," said Doug Rudolph, a college instructor and consultant with Artificial Reefs of the Keys, which spearheaded the reef project.

The volunteers work in six-hour watches, and accompany the security personnel on walk-throughs of the ship that include checking the bilge to ensure that it is not taking on water, and patrolling the areas that have been in contact with cutting torches to ensure that no stray sparks are posing a fire risk.

Crews are cutting more and more holes in the side of the ship on a daily basis. These holes will allow air to escape during the sinking, said project organizer Joe Weatherby. They are not diver-access holes, he emphasized, but are being cut to ensure a stable and straight sinking.

Also, the Russian writing on the port side of the ship, visible from Key West Harbor, is a relic from the ship's starring role in the film "Virus." Some people have wondered whether the foreign name indicated organizers had the wrong ship

][/I]Also, the Russian writing on the port side of the ship, visible from Key West Harbor, is a relic from the ship's starring role in the film "Virus." Some people have wondered whether the foreign name indicated organizers had the wrong ship

Haha! It'd kinda funny if they get that far and realize "OH CRAP! We almost sunk the wrong ship!"

from Key West's ship finally comes in

Key West's ship finally comes in
'Vandenberg' completes journey from Virginia, final work to start to prepare for scuttling

By SEAN KINNEY
skinney@keynoter.com
Posted - Wednesday, April 22, 2009 09:03 AM EDT

Plans are for the 523-foot decommissioned military vessel to be intentionally sunk in late May or early June as an artificial reef six miles south of the city. It's expected to provide a huge boon to the dive and snorkel industry.

Awesome!!! I've always wanted to snorkel the Vandenburg. :) How long of a snorkel should I buy?

"Fishing also will be permitted on the wreck, said sanctuary biologist Bill Horn."

sigh...

ok.... here are some deck plans....

when I get some better resolution ones.... I'll add them.

Inboard_Profile_2.jpg

Radar_Deck_3.jpg

Bridge_Deck_4.jpg

Upper_deck_5.jpg

2nd_Deck_6.jpg

3rd_Deck_7.jpg

First_Platform_8.jpg

Tank_Top_9.jpg

"Fishing also will be permitted on the wreck, said sanctuary biologist Bill Horn."

sigh...

The wreck is for all of Key West, not just the divers and dive shops.

By the way, all of the big wrecks in the Keys, including the SG, Duane, Eagle, Thunderbolt, etc.. are open for fishing. No need to sigh, everything will be ok.

The wreck is for all of Key West, not just the divers and dive shops.

By the way, all of the big wrecks in the Keys, including the SG, Duane, Eagle, Thunderbolt, etc.. are open for fishing. No need to sigh, everything will be ok.

I don't see that well (even with a prescription mask), so I just love fishing line. Oh well, sharing is caring.

Here are a few pics of the swim throughs...

Attachments

• DSC00506.jpg
    DSC00506.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00508.jpg
    DSC00508.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 95
Hmm, seems on the small side... I'm used to them being cut WAY more generously... figure enough for a side by side egress by two 'clumsy' divers....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom