Here we go again...PST tanks marked E9791/SP9791

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This world has zero common sense. The metallurgy of the tanks didn't change on 9/30? And who out there is enforcing this? Has anyone ever encountered a DOT inspector at an LDS?

I have 17 PST tanks in a trailer ready to go hydro, lol... maybe one day!

This world has zero common sense. The metallurgy of the tanks didn't change on 9/30? And who out there is enforcing this? Has anyone ever encountered a DOT inspector at an LDS?

I have 17 PST tanks in a trailer ready to go hydro, lol... maybe one day!
The metallurgy didn't change, and none have exploded since the last renewal.

PSI-PCI is not the DOT or a regulatory entity. Why anyone would do anything they put into a horribly written "article" is puzzling.

My LDS is a DOT certified hydrotester, and they are still VIPing and filling 9791 tanks...... They just won't hydro them

The metallurgy didn't change, and none have exploded since the last renewal.

PSI-PCI is not the DOT or a regulatory entity. Why anyone would do anything they put into horribly written "article" is puzzling.

My LDS is a DOT certified hydrotester, and they are still VIPing and filling 9791 tanks...... They just won't hydro them

I can understand facilities not hydro testing, but there are some not filling. Common sense would say "hey, we can't hydro your tank right now because of the circumstances, but we'll fill / VIP until this bureaucracy gets worked out". Any shop that does that is worth going to.

It really doesn't matter to me as I fill my own tanks... I'll happily break the law until they can pull their heads out of their asses, lol. I have quite a few PST's I need to hydro at some point so I'm invested.

I’ve heard of a couple of shops that sent emails to customers with the PSI bulletin saying we can’t fill them. So they are out there.

It sounds like phone-calls may be the squeakier-wheel here (versus email). We probably don't all need to call them on the exact same day, but .... if we keep pestering their phones, maybe they'll do something about it.

There is no law regarding VIP, only an Industry Standard. So, they can "legally" be filled until hydro....
The way I understood it, "technically" they can no longer be in operation.. didn't I read something about bleeding down to 50 psi? Or was that just from PSI and not really code?

Or was that just from PSI and not really code?
IMHO - There may be some "complexity" if you muddy the waters with a business. So a shop may not be allowed to fill and transport their cylinders, but a non-commercial entity (us) is not subject to that. We should be able too get a cylinder filled at a business (dive shop) until it needs requalification....

If someone would like to show me different, I'd humbly accept it, but for now I say BS!

It sounds like phone-calls may be the squeakier-wheel here (versus email). We probably don't all need to call them on the exact same day, but .... if we keep pestering their phones, maybe they'll do something about it.

Or:

approvals@dot.gov

:)

IMHO - There may be some "complexity" if you muddy the waters with a business. So a shop may not be allowed to fill and transport their cylinders, but a non-commercial entity (us) is not subject to that. We should be able too get a cylinder filled at a business (dive shop) until it needs requalification....

If someone would like to show me different, I'd humbly accept it, but for now I say BS!
Sadly not the way many shops are handling it. Rather treating them like radioactive waste, rather than risk anything.

Of the shops I know, 1 will fill but only if you know someone and they aren't even supposed to. The other 10 or so flat out won't deal with them at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom