Here we go again...PST tanks marked E9791/SP9791

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a Worthington company not Pressed Steel Tanks PST, so nothing new on PST then?
It will be handled. PST didn't just make tanks for Scuba. If they did, we would be hosed.
There is a lot of industry out there making a lot of noise with the DOT.

The part of this that confuses me is that G3 seemed unaware of the expiration and very willing to help (when me a lowly individual user/customer contacted them)..so what role does PSI-PCI play in this? Why didn’t they speak to PST first before instead putting out a poorly written memo to all dive shops? Seems odd that they’d do that doesn’t it?

Any actual PSI-PCI representation on here? Did you actually communicate with PST about renewal? Or merely report that SP9791 had expired?

The part of this that confuses me is that G3 seemed unaware of the expiration and very willing to help (when me a lowly individual user/customer contacted them)..so what role does PSI-PCI play in this? Why didn’t they speak to PST first before instead putting out a poorly written memo to all dive shops? Seems odd that they’d do that doesn’t it?
This is totally par for the course for PSI. For decades they have had a holier than tho / we know best attitude. Actually trying to support PST/G3 who probably have new staff that don't even know about a 20 yo SP that expired? Yeah no. PSI would issue a "reminder" to all of us plebes.

At this point, based on the information provided in this thread, the PSI-PCI "industry bulletin" is incorrect. Perhaps they'll read through what's here and issue a correction/addendum.

That DiveNewswire "industry bulletin" has no named author either, which is sub-optimal from a publishing criteria standpoint.

Anyone can apply for renewal of a permit. I wonder if DOT PHMSA would approve the permit for individual serial numbers of the dozen tanks I own.

Anyone can apply for renewal of a permit. I wonder if DOT PHMSA would approve the permit for individual serial numbers of the dozen tanks I own.
Give it a try. Here's the last renewal to help you fill out the form. Good luck :)

Attachments

• SP9791.pdf
    198.8 KB · Views: 56
I would like to know if anyone knows what is done to renew a permit other than extending the expiration date to another later expiration date?

Would there need be investigating any incidents that relate to the tanks that fall under the old E or slightly newer term SP?

Would there need be some kind of changes in how the testing is done.

PST now E3 is not making scuba tanks I know, but other tanks.

Other manufacturers that make scuba tanks I notice are selling them with SP on them.

Do all scuba tanks made have SP and its just a way of letting you know that there is an expiration.

I found the DOT hazardous material website PDF file and saw where it mentions the all kinds of specifications and testing, but it looks to me that this is for when the tanks were still being manufactured. I see where it mentions destructive testing. So you know it does not mean a hyro test we pay for and maybe it passes or maybe it fails. No they tell of purposely making some tanks fail what ever it takes and get the data. Maybe I'm wrong, but it is what I tried to figure what was in the PDF file download.

In any case I find it strange if it is just a clerical thing that needs to be done and is taking longer than usual because of the company no longer making these tanks, that is Pressed Steel Cylinders now G3.

The Faber Tanks that have SP on them are still being manufactured. Does this mean that they have some one handling renewing DOT requirement for the permit early by a few months, I mean before what otherwise I have seen is every 4 years. Not to confuse hdro test required to be done to allow refills, which is every 5 years in USA.

Look at where it mention INCIDENT in multiple places in the one paragraph of which this is only one of many in the document.

Just a snipet below:

The application must include a statement describing all relevant operational, shipping, and incident experience of which the applicant is aware in connection with the special permit since its issuance or most recent renewal. If the applicant is aware of no incidents, the applicant must so certify. When known to the applicant, the statement must indicate the approximate number of shipments made or packages shipped, as applicable, and the number of shipments or packages involved in any loss of contents, including loss by venting other than as authorized in subchapter C.

==================================

So I would think this is for a legal beagle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom