Here we go ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been sitting on the fence regarding doing DM since finishing up my Rescue course in May. I was blessed with several very good instructors who IMO do things right and focus on content and thorough instruction vs. getting things done quickly and speeding divers through the process to increase cash flow. I got along very well with the DMs and DMCs who helped during Rescue class and have continued to dive with many of them on a regular basis.

Ultimately it was the opportunity to develop a mentoring relationship with these great instructors and to spend more time hanging out with these DMs/DMCs that finally helped me decide to pull the trigger. I officially signed up yesterday and have begun gathering all of the various texts and materials.

Our opening orientation session is Nov. 7 and we'll be spending the winter doing the academics and pool work. We'll hopefully be ready to move into the internship phase once the spring open water courses start up next May.

Awesome! Congrats on the decision and good luck with the course. Study hard, pay attention, and have a blast. You won't regret it.

Really? :eyebrow:

Wanna get a taste of interning a little early? At your current stage of training it's more like "gophering" but it's a look into the inner workings of a check-out weekend. I'm supposed to have check-outs at Gilboa Nov 17-18 (we'll see if anyone signs up) and you're welcome to come out.
Ber :lilbunny:

Wanna get a taste of interning a little early? At your current stage of training it's more like "gophering" but it's a look into the inner workings of a check-out weekend. I'm supposed to have check-outs at Gilboa Nov 17-18 (we'll see if anyone signs up) and you're welcome to come out.

Thanks Ber. I'll give that some thought. I just may be able to get up to Gilboa that weekend.

Congrats on making the decision to go for it and join the ranks. You'll have a great time and I think you're going about it the right way. Develop a very strong knowledge and skills base before you ever set foot in a class with students. IMHO, this should be mandatory...I've seen DMC's start the Internship right off, well before they're ready, and it's embarrassing really, to put that in front of students. Getting your knowledge base and skills nailed will also give you a measure of confidence going in to the Internship that will translate very well to the students.

Good luck and have a blast....you only do this once so savor the experience! :D

I had good mentors while persuing my certifications also. They inspired me to go forward into the Pro ranks. This winter I will also enter the AI course.

Improve your skills, learn all you can, and be a good role model for your students.
And have fun! Soon you'll be a mentor for others. :D

Do I hear a hint of desperation there, Ber??:D

Actually at my LDS, the instructors have been thrilled that there's some trainees going through. They have said that hey can use all the help they can get. I actually told one of them that I plan on hanging out at the Dive Con level for a year or 2 to help out & gain some experience, before moving on to instructor levels. He jokingly said that he didn't know if he could get used to having help or not.:D

Remember to have fun, even if you dive for a living, its still about having a good time.

Okay, that's what they told me anyway.

Way cool, the dive industry needs more cheap labor.:rofl3: But really, great choice, you won't be disappointed in your endeavors. Like others have said, study hard and the rest will fall in place.

Back
Top Bottom