Here's my goals, how do I get there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have yet to run into anyone local who is a GUE certified instructor.

Extreme Exposure a.k.a. "E" is a great place to start if you are curious. Multiple GUE Fundamentals, Cave, and Technical instructors, and a nice dive shop, literally next door to the GUE headquarters.

I suggest you do your own research on the GUE options. I am sure it could serve you well, but it's hardly the only way to excellent instruction. There are several instructor who can teach for more than one agency as well. Its more about finding an instructor who you are comfortable with and is willing to work with your pace and goals in mind.

Re "bouncing off the bottom".. glad you already see than as a problem. A couple bad divers can really foul up the place.

Last edited:
I have heard that GUE offers a great fundamentals course but I have yet to run into anyone local who is a GUE certified instructor. My LDS had never even heard of GUE. I think I would like to do my cavern/cave certs through an NSS-CDS instructor.

You're in Florida? There's a bunch of instructors and gue divers and we all dive a lot.

Read up on gue a bit. Take fundies. You might change your mind about what agency you think you want cave training through.

I agree take fundies. Visit high springs and take a course with an EE instructor. Since you're a very new diver don't worry about getting the "tech pass". Just take the class. A rec pass will set you up to be a well put together ow diver. Then dive a ton, then consider cave courses. Just because you take funnies doesn't mean you need to do gue cave courses, though you may want to. There are multiple organizations other than ness-cds and gue. Personally I think the ness-cds system is a dinosaur and personally prefer the naui approach to course setup. Though the instructor is more important than the agency. Dan Patterson at EE is an excellent cave instructor, and though he works for a "gue shop" he's not a gue cave instructor.
I personally wouldn't take a cave course without 100 dives under my belt. 50 if you're well put together.

Since you're a very new diver don't worry about getting the "tech pass". Just take the class. A rec pass will set you up to be a well put together ow diver.

If the OP embarks on this journey with caves in mind he should probably consider taking the class in tech gear configuration and aim for Tech pass or provisional rather than Rec. Even if he doesn't have any previous experience with doubles, corded lights etc. They will teach him everything he needs to know.

If the OP embarks on this journey with caves in mind he should probably consider taking the class in tech gear configuration and aim for Tech pass or provisional rather than Rec. Even if he doesn't have any previous experience with doubles, corded lights etc. They will teach him everything he needs to know.

I wouldn't suggest doing it in doubles if one hasn't dove doubles before. But can recommend using a corded light for the course regardless.

_R

I wouldn't suggest doing it in doubles if one hasn't dove doubles before. But can recommend using a corded light for the course regardless.

A valve drill is a small price to pay for quite a bit of extra stability in the water :)

He's barely got any dives. Jumping to tech fundies and having them teach him basics through doubles seems like a lot. Though I have never taken fundies, just have many friends that have. So I may be way off base, but that seems like a big jump. If he had 50 or more ow dives maybe.

I'm 30 but I've read a lot that many divers stop a lot of their deco/technical diving after the age of 40 because of some of the physiological issues.

Gee, I sure hope not. I'm in my mid-50s and it's only at this point at my life that I finally have the time and money to pursue this avenue of diving.

I took Fundies in single-tank rec configuration a few years ago and was glad I did not try to take on more stuff at the time. I practiced GUE-style diving in that configuration for a year, then acquired the doubles and drysuit and dove that way for a year, and only now feel I am about ready to shoot for the Tech Upgrade of my Fundies rec pass. Unless you are a superstar natural at this, I suggest adding complexity slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom