Hero 4 Black with LCD bacpac or Silver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am about to buy a new gopro and not sure whether to get the black with a LCD bacpac or the silver which comes with the LCD screen. I have been using a GoPro Hero 2 with bacpac until recently when I lost it.

I have access to a significant discount with GoPro, so the $79 LCD cost is not an issue. Just trying to figure out if I want to deal with the bulkier 4 + LCD. Seems like the only benefit would be 4K at 30fps.

Anybody here had to go through the same choice? What did you get and are you happy about it?

Although I won't be able to use the touch screen while diving, so you know if on the silver I can control using buttons but still go through menu options on the LCD?

Would love to get some opinions.

Thanks

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 04:38 PM ----------

Anybody?

My sister bought me the new regular Hero for Christmas - I was going to have her return it and buy the Hero 4 Silver. I thought about the Black but really didn't think I'd need that 4K - I don't have any 4K tvs or high end editing needs so that's why I was going with the Silver. Just after Christmas I had several sellers that had them and I was going to purchase one while I was in the City but no one got back to me. So I'm just keeping the Hero to try and maybe I'll grab a Hero 4 Silver in the summer.
As for the button control pretty sure it'll work through the front button and the LCD.

I was at the DEMA show this past November and talked to the GoPro folks and the one guy told me he felt the Hero4 Silver was the best choice for divers. With typical diving conditions, I don't think filming in 4K is a real benefit. He also said the battery life should be better with the Silver.

Not sure if you can change menu options or not while uw. Obviously, like you said, you can't use the touch screen. Just don't remember if you can access the options using the available buttons.

Bottom line is I would get the Silver edition.

I have the silver and you can still access and change every feature on the camera with the buttons just like on the older ones. You can still shoot 4k with the silver just at 15fps as well, but for me 1080 at 60fps looks the best by far.

I just bought the 4 Black and it seems like over-kill. My computer can't even read the files it generates at 90 fps.... I never had a video back on any of my go-pros, but since I shoot medium it pretty much captures what you point it at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom