Hero4 settings- what are yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacawGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a GoPro Hero4 Black, and I was hoping I could get some feedback from folks that are more familiar with. I'll be diving in a few weeks in Utila and will be using the GoPro for the first time there. I also have a red filter from GoPro and a sealife sea dragon light attached to my monopole.

There seems to be a ton of settings for resolution, and I was wondering what people usually use on standard dives? I've seen some posts that say stick to 1080- is the 2.7K just too much, as in too big files? Also, I was wondering if and why I should use Protunes to use the more advanced settings? Is there an advantage to changing the ISO or other features on a normal day dive?

Thanks in advance for any input!

The 2.7k and 4k modes have their obvious advantages, but for most users, the downsides are the huge files and the processing power needed to cut and edit them on a computer. If you're not doing anything professional, I'd recommend sticking with 1080p at 30fps. It's good enough to share over the Internet and playback on TVs.

As of the AWB, ISO and Protune - I personally keep it on auto white balance and protune disabled, the filter does a good job handling that. Eventually I only have to apply a little contrast bump in post-processing to compensate when low-vis makes things look a little murky.

Considering it's your first dive with the camera, two details not to be ignored: secure the pole to your BCD with a lanyard and bring a pack of activated anti-fog inserts.

Hi MacawGuy

as toozler 1080p ...but 60fps ( files big enough to keep computer busy :)

auto white balance
protune disabled
quickcapture ON

enjoy

I use Hero4 Silver on a pole with a video light and my settings so far have been:
1080p 30 fps wide
Protune on
auto white balance
quickcapture off

I keep the camera on for the dive and use the top button to record short video clips about 15 sec long.

I just upgraded from Hero 2 to Hero 4 Silver
Echo the settings: 1080p, 30fps.
Quickcapture on to make it easy to start the darn thing with my 5mm gloves on.

My maiden dive with it last weekend got some good footage but the darn LCD display kept turning off after a minute or two. Is there a setting to make it stay on?

If you're looking to shoot fast objects or want to slow down something then you should be filming at 60+ fps. Otherwise, 30 fps is pretty standard and most videophiles recommend that you film at the highest resolution possible (4k) and then you can downsize to 1080p after, which appears sharper, or crop it to make it more stable. If you're not going to do a lot of colour correcting, you should just leave Protune off.

Here's a sample from David Newman who developed Cineform and now works for GoPro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJxwtUB4AmY

I use 60 fps. It allows you to cheat, which is especially useful with a head cam. You can play back the video slower, at least small segments of it and it will lengthen the shot and reduce the shakiness.

Also with 60, you can take an action shot and run it much slower in order to provide somewhat of a special effect.

My son shot this segment of video with a 3 plus camera on a stick and I thought the slow motion came out pretty cool.

If curious to see what I am talking about..skip to 7:00 minutes

[video]https://youtu.be/fBGEAKzurIs[/video]

What would be the main difference between 1080 and 1080 Superview? Just bought a GoPro 4 Silver and want to get it set up for this weekend's dive.

So far I have it set up as follows:
1080S/30/Wide
Quickcapture - OFF
LEDs - OFF
Video Format - NTSC
Protune - ON
White Balance - AUTO

Does anybody see anything I need to change?

I'm also going to be using a Flip 3.1 Dive or Deep Dive filter and probably no light.

What would be the main difference between 1080 and 1080 Superview? Just bought a GoPro 4 Silver and want to get it set up for this weekend's dive.

So far I have it set up as follows:
1080S/30/Wide
Quickcapture - OFF
LEDs - OFF
Video Format - NTSC
Protune - ON
White Balance - AUTO

Does anybody see anything I need to change?

I'm also going to be using a Flip 3.1 Dive or Deep Dive filter and probably no light.
With LEDs off how do you know if you're recording or not?

I was a former Hero 3 BE user. My settings then were 1080/60 Protune and Camera RAW WB. I do lots of grading (WB, saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc) in post. So for the Hero 4 Black @4K/30 what settings would I go choose to best match what I used to do/get with my previous Hero 3 settings?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom