Heron Island, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkoifman

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dove Heron Island? How was it, what can I expect? - going next March. Can I "survive" there for 4-5 days; I here there isn't much to do after you are done diving and turtle watching

I dived there 10 years ago, did a nite dive and 6 other dives. Lots of vareity, heaps of coral and fish, some really big turtles. Nite dive was great, lots of reef sharks

Expect 40-50 metres vis during the day as offshore and all coral sand bottoms.

Did see a very big tiger shark.... 12-14 ft. Apparently he is a local and in the habit of bumping divers....

Very professional setup then, and I expect the same now.

One of the best dive sites in the world I reckon, and a marine scientific community on the island

I stayed on Heron for 7 days and did not want to leave. The diving was great and so was the resort. It is the only resort on the island and very laid back. The rest of the island is a protected wildlife refuge and the wildlife has no fear of humans both above and below the water.

Heron is on the South end of the Barrier Reef and the water can get down to the low 70's. I'd suggest at least a 3mm full wetsuit and perhaps a beanie. The dives were not particularly deep or difficult but the sites and variety of undersea life was fantastic.

If you enjoy an awesome natural setting, walking the beach, kicking back by the pool and wandering the pristine island checking out its wildlife you will love Heron. The staff there was really friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. They do have a variety of activities, a bar area, nightly movies and a varied menu. I found plenty to do but the island by design sticks to more naturalistic activities like reef walking, bird watching and beach combing.

If you prefer ready access to nightclubs, shows and a variety of dining options then Heron may be a place you would like to visit but not dedicate more than a few days to. We hit Sydney and Brisbane earlier in our trip and by the time we got to Heron we felt we had already experienced some vacation nightlife and were ready for a more laid back atmosphere.

Enjoy!

We were in Heron a couple years ago and had a wonderful time and agree with most of what the others have posted.

In addition to the diving there are a few land based activities I would recommend like the reef walk and the tour of the University of Queensland Research Center that is located on the island as well.

I am not certain of the cycle but if the turtles are laying (or hatching) this is a cool way to spend the late night...

It is really well run and found everything top quality. The only weird thing was these damn birds that live on the island and sound like wailing souls in purgatory at night. The hotel will provide earplugs free of charge :)

The diving was great. Highlights were 3 HUGE mantas but every dive was full of great coral and fish. THere can be some heavy currents of the shelf and a couple of days were drift dives. If you get the heacy current days, just try to stay near the DM and if you miss the pick up point, use your sausage, sit back and relax.

Cheers....david

I got married on Heron island in early January, at sunset, on the beach.

As we started the ceremony, a nest of turtles hatched.... we had to stop and let them run through. I thought... WOW NE life a new beginning, what a great omen for my marriage.

A school of reef sharks met the turtles at the water and snapped them up.....

Umm oh oh... so which omen?

Marriage lasted 3 months... haha!

Anyway, turtles will be hatching AND laying throughout summer, and the mutton birds nest everywhere too and make a heap of noise

That is what they were called.....not damn birds, mutton birds!!!

thanks for reminding me...

rkoifman once bubbled...
Has anyone dove Heron Island? How was it, what can I expect? - going next March. Can I "survive" there for 4-5 days; I here there isn't much to do after you are done diving and turtle watching

My wife has, even stayed there. She appearently loved it a great deal as every dive we've done together gets compared to it! I'll see what I can do to get her to post her experiences for you. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom