Hey Bob...Update us on the latest and greatest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last talk with Bob indicated that things were going slower than he had hoped. He thinks they have found the proper material, finally. The stiffness is slightly above that of the Pros and the rebound is 12 points above the old Tan Delta. This means the fins should be easier to kick but will return a greater percentage of the energy input. Just remember the actual fin stiffness is dependent upon the thickness of the fin material, so even if material has low stiffness numbers, the energy needed to bend/load the fin can be higher, if the material is thicker.

I also understand that the fins will be offered in only one color, a shade of blue, initially.

I think Bob is at the factory this week, so hopefully we will get an update shortly.

Thanks for the update. Love the BLUE on the Tan Delta. Have cash in hand for the first pair off the line. Have a week of diving at Tiger Beach in the Bahamas in April. I know Bob probably can't have specifics, but ANY chance production will have started before then?

I know he was hoping to already started production but getting the material properties "right" has been more of a challenge than expected. Urethane chemistry is as much an art as a science - plus molds may need to be modified.
At this point they are going to try and produce 2 or 3 of each model - Hockey, Excellerator and Flying - for testing/evaluation.
My hope is that he has test fins ready to go by December, so I can evaluate them on my next trip to St Croix (along with several other testers). If they prove out, hopefully, he can get them into production for Christmas.

With that in mind - anybody interested in a pair of XXL Flying Force Fins in Yellow? These are the last pair of these exact fins that will ever be produced. Used on about 10 dives - like new - with bungies and carry bag. PM if interested.

Thanks again for the update. If I am understanding you correctly there won't be any strictly Pro models of the new Tan Deltas, just Hockey, Excellerator, and Flying (which - from what I'm reading seems to be an improved Pro with winglets to eliminate wing tip vortices). If this is so, any suggestions as to which model I should move to when the new Tan Deltas come out? I have been diving with the Pros for about 15 years in all kinds of dive environments - mostly at recreational depths - and have valued their versatility as well as their other features.

I have to admit, my preference is the Hockey Fin.

If you like the Pro style - the Flying feels the same except it does frog kick much better. From my understanding of the new Tan Delta replacement, I may change my mind and go with the Flying. My problem with my existing Tan Delta Flying is that the stiffness of this material takes more effort to load the fin and I prefer the easier loading of the Hockey Fin (plus it has a higher rebound).

Bob may offer the "Pro" style in the new material at a later time but right now he is focused on Hockey, Excellerators and Flying because of requests.

Just as an additional note: the new fins will not be numbered nor signed by Bob. :( The old Tan Deltas were hand poured at the factory close to where Bob lived and he personally supervised the "pours". Modern production technology has both its advantages and its detriments.

if you like your Pro's, the Flying is just a little bit better, it's more stable on the kick. I haven't tried the new TD material yet, but the my Pros are a bit stiffer than my Flying Force TD. Which means the Pro takes more energy to load (work harder), but has a quicker response time. This is better for close up work than extended swimming.
The Excellerator and the Hockey are cousins, the Excellerator has a tip that is more flexible, giving it an amazing smooth feel, but it requires shark teeth or whiskers to add stability. The Hockey has the ridges build into the blade (cannot take whiskers) and it is less of a entanglement hazard. Both frog kick really well, but the Hockey's stiffer tips make it marginally better for frog kicks.

I have to admit, just the idea of having the look of the Flying added to the rebound features of the Tan Delta material has my heart pumping almost as much as does the added aquadynamics (if that's a word). I look forward eagerly to hearing your reports.

I have really appreciated the rebound of the Pros - from even small little ankle kicks (when doing penetration dives) to full leg kicks when drift diving or doing more blue water stuff. The reliable propulsion has always been there and the effort-to-output ratio has consistently kept my air consumption rate at a desirable level. Though I flirted with split fins once in the early 00s, it was really that reliability in all kinds of diving conditions that kept me loyal to my Force Fins.

Thanks again .... again.

Hey Bob....why don't you use this thread to update all of us on the latest and greatest from Force Fin. I have tried to keep up, but I'm not the best with social media etc, so fill all of us Scubaboard members in on the move to PA, how the operation is going, new products (and colors) available for 2016 and so forth. Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Good News we are making the Whiskers again.Force Fin Whiskers - Sold as a kit containing 4 Whiskers Proven Technology for the past 25 years. Add's the ability to change the Water Flow and is considered a ESD ( Energy Saving Device ). Once I started to design longer Force Fin blades, I need to be the first to apply Vortex Generators and vertical winglet's to help stabilize the movement of the longer fin blade. All American made in our Pennsylvania plant. Hopefully we will have the other Winglet's up and running soon like Sharks Teeth and the Bat Wings.. Mean while enjoy this Thanksgiving Day.
adj-force.jpg

Looking for an update please sir...I have posted on your facebook page and am now following you ;:cool:

Back
Top Bottom