Hey everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dakotadog42

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just found this website and thought I would drop a line in. I was lurking for a few days and this looks to be quite an active group. My dive buddy of many years is unfortuantely unable to go any more so I am reaching out to make some connections and find some new folks to get wet with. So thought I would post up to introduce myself

I have been diving in the Cape Cod area for about 15 years and have just begun to gear up and start training for some deeper and more techie type stuff. Just about to do a rescue class at Diver's Market. Most of my diving has been in the Cape Cod Bay area. I also just got a boat and am finally able to get to some of the more offshore dives. Anyway I will stay active on here and maybe see some of you in the near future.

BTW anyone been on the GKB Dragger in Cape Cod Bay? I spent about 3 dives this summer trying to find it with no success.

David

dakotadog42 once bubbled...
BTW anyone been on the GKB Dragger in Cape Cod Bay? I spent about 3 dives this summer trying to find it with no success.

Where abouts are you out of? I spend quite a bit of time down in Eastham; fishing, lobstering, and diving. I've not done anything other than the Target Ship for wreck dives in the bay, but eventually we'll expand out to P-Town harbor and possibly over to the airplane wreck. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can pull up some numbers on the GKB Dragger, I've not heard of it before [so I'm assuming lower cape].

OH.... and Welcome!

I also just got a boat and am finally able to get to some of the more offshore dives.
David

You can let us mooch ....ummm... I mean... dive with you anytime:D

Seriously... welcome. We seem to have a large group dive every month or so... with others meeting in smaller groups more often than that. I don't know if we have anything being planned other than the seal dive (which is full) in mid-sept. Just keep an eye out... and if you're going diving and need a buddy... just post, and I'm sure you'll be swamped with replies!

Ken

I mostly put in in the Sandwich basin and dive most frequently in the area between Scorton's ledge and the Nuke plant. The dragger GKB and another fishing boat are in 80 feet off Barnstable but close to the middle of the bay. They are listed in Don Ferris' book, but I have had no luck finding them.

They are listed in Don Ferris' book, but I have had no luck finding them.

Hmm... I'm going to assume you've got Loran and didn't actually try to use any of the (crappy) software to covert the numbers to GPS?

I've got a couple of contacts I can check with and see if there are different numbers. I'll do some digging and see what I can turn up. I did some digging through the stuff I collected from NOAA, and I only have (untested) numbers for 3 things in that area, the Pottstown, an Unknown right near the Pottstown, and something called the Exminster, which I've not heard of at all, and appears a little closer to the canal.

Also, just let me know if you want any hunting help. I have many rules, and one of those rules is "always help out the guy with the boat!"

Well I actually don't have a loran, but the first GPS I had let you enter Loran numbers and convert them to GPS position. No luck there. I now have a Lowrance chartplotter in the boat and wthe map cartidge shows a wreck symbol in the area. I dove both the (converted) loran numbers and the wreck symbol on the chartplotter with no sucess. I have also attempted to locate them with the fishfinder/sonar but have still struck out. Maybe we can put something together the end of September

Well I actually don't have a loran, but the first GPS I had let you enter Loran numbers and convert them to GPS position.

I've tried converting Loran to GPS a couple of times, and it will get you into the general ballpark, but it's always off enough to not help! :)

I now have a Lowrance chartplotter in the boat and wthe map cartidge shows a wreck symbol in the area.

Hmm... I made the mistake of sitting down at my desk last night and opening my chart book [remind me not to do that again when I should be going to bed, as I ended up peeling myself away at 3am].

Anyway, there is a wreck mark on the chart close to the area, but definately far enough away to either be 1) misreported, or 2) something else... I don't remember the scale, but it was at least 1/4 mile from the loran numbers.

I sent a couple e-mail enquiries out, but I've not heard anything back.

I've been thinking of picking up a loran on ebay, but I've not had the time to really learn enough about them yet [and I don't have my own boat anyway]. But given that there is a lot of loran numbers without corresponding GPS numbers, it might be worth picking one up. The easiest and most accurate method of converting loran to GPS is to just go to the spot and hit 'mark' on your GPS :)

Back
Top Bottom