Hey everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A day late! Happy Birthday dakotadog!

as far as diving, if it is technical - count me out but if you plan any basic dives I'd be interested... Keep me "posted" :wink:

Here's the best way to find wrecks, either charted or for which you have numbers that don't quite match up.....

First, get out your chart. Determine the average depth and the bottom composition (if it's rocky you'll be getting lots of false depth sounder "hits", sand or mud, much less, you'll want to know this later). Get a bleach bottle, length of good nylon string (cave line works well) appropriate for the depth, and a 5 lb lead scuba weight. Tie it all together wrapping the line around the bottle snugly and evenly. Do this 4 times (i.e. make 4 of these). Number each jug with magic marker.

Get to your spot as closely as you can and toss in the bottle/string/weight device (known as a "jug"). The jug will spin as the weight sinks, spooling out the line nicely. When it stops spinning it's down (assuming the line is long enough!) Take a GPS reading on it after it settles.

Settle in and relax. Now you're going to run search patterns in circles around the jug, ever widening, with about 30' greater distance between each circle (use GPS to keep a constant distance from jug).

Assign someone to watch the depth sounder. Any wreck worth diving will show up on the sounder. Use your GPS to mark all "hits". Use your extra jugs to mark hits you plan to dive on that day.

Run your pattern out to 1/4 mile. Then go back and dive your significant hits.

Collect your jugs when your done.

Tom

ps- Here's a couple of links you might find helpful http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/hsd/hsd-3.html

http://anchor.ncd.noaa.gov/awois/search.cfm

Thanks Tom! That was sort of the idea I was thinking of. BTW I ran the general area through awois and there isn't any specific hits.

David, I'm curious as to the GPS coordinates you were looking at. When I run the loran numbers through the conversion tool I use I get a fairly large sized area for the Catherine Marie [since there are 3 loran points, you can get an area rather than a point].

What I end up with is:

Point A: 41 49.1942' N x 70 23.0136' W
Point B: 41 49.0806' N x 70 22.9283' W
Point C: 41 49.0128' N x 70 23.1969' W

A-> B = 264 yards at a bearing of 150
B->C = 430 yards at bearing 251
A->C = 460 yards at bearing 217

Point D: (GKB) 41 49.1605' N x 70 22.8714' W

A->D = 226 yards at 107
B->D = 184 yards at 28

I'd say the best idea [aside of finding some accurate GPS coordinates] is search for the Catherine Marie in that triangle, and once found, use the accurate GPS coordinates to correct for the location of the GKB and setup a search from that point.

Spectre once bubbled...

David, I'm curious as to the GPS coordinates you were looking at. When I run the loran numbers through the conversion tool I use I get a fairly large sized area for the Catherine Marie [since there are 3 loran points, you can get an area rather than a point].

Off the top of my head I can't tell you. I programmed the numbers into my Chartplotter and all the data is on the boat. I took the coordinates from the guidebook and ran them through the converter I got off the USCG site. I like the bleach bottle approach - may work for me

dakotadog42 once bubbled...
Off the top of my head I can't tell you. I programmed the numbers into my Chartplotter and all the data is on the boat

If you could spit 'em out off the top of your head, I would be incredibly frightened!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom