Hi from Prince George, BC (Long Post!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MisterPG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, fellow waterbugs! Newbie 'scuba diver' here in chilly, land-locked Prince George, BC. Let me tell you a little story...

20 years ago, I got as far as my first pool dive (in BC's lower mainland), but was completely mentally unprepared for the experience... my best explanation I tell friends is that I "freaked out" in the pool... I was ok as long as I could physically stand up, rip the reg out of my mouth and breathe regular atmosphere, but there was no way on this earth that I was going to follow the group to the bottom of the deep end (a whopping what?? 15 feet?).

Fast-forward to 20 years later... I spent the better part of 10 months in anticipation of a family vacation to a well-known resort on the beautiful tropical island of Providenciales, Turks & Caicos. Part of their deal is, you can take a 'resort course' for 1 dive and then take the 'scuba diver' course the next day.. once you get certified, your daily dives are all-inclusive.

Well.... I had 6 months to prepare this time around. I read everything I could, borrowed the PADI DVDs, and most importantly, purchased some snorkel gear and spent a few Saturdays in the local public pool with my 12-year-old, practicing underwater mask removal and a few other "uncomfortable" skills.

April 12th, 2011... D(ive)-Day - Resort course.. the morning classes and pool dive went flawlessly. Afternoon ocean dive... This is an excerpt from my dive log of that first OW dive: 33', 30 min, 70' vis, 79degrees water temp. start 2100psi / end 2200 psi.
"resort course dive. Stayed within 30-33' once down. Bottom COVERED in coral and sea life. Saw lobster, barracuda, surgeon fish, parrotfish, squirrel fish... and bluefish everywhere! also, many other species either singles or in pairs or in schools. I was so overwhelmed with the beauty that I cried in my mask at 33 feet".

Next to the birth of my children, it was the most beautiful thing I have ever encountered. Also, there was not ONE moment that I felt scared, apprehensive, uncomfortable or unsure. What I WAS sure of, was that I needed to do this a LOT more before I depart this earth.

My new gear arrived yesterday and I'm just waiting for the local instructor's schedule to clear up. I have a LOT of questions, so expect my name to pop up from time to time :)

PS - I've been back from vacation for 3 weeks now, and not ONE night has gone by that I haven't woken up from dreaming that I've been scuba diving. Hooked????

~m

EDIT - "start 2100psi / end 2200 psi." whoops... typo... correction: start 3200psi / end 1100 psi.

~m

Hey Michael!

I'm set to get wet! It was great meeting you guys last week... let me know when you're back in town and we can start working on the rest of your Open Water Diver course!

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom