hi i am new and have a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

disrupta

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi as the title of the thread says i am new to diving i did my OW last year with padi and then a week later dived the president coolidge i didnt dive much this year but have recently done an advanced adventurer course with ssi and im planning to go diving in bali in a few weeks

i have started purchasing gear so far i have a mask, split fins, 2mm gloves a 5mm suit and all the little stuff i have been going to the one dive shop and they have suggested an aqualung bcd titan regs and a suunto cobra computer they have also ordered this equipment in and i have agreed to pay it off in installmants (i have not put down a deposit though)

i am mainly interested in skilling up to do tech and wreck diving, is the equipment i have been offered right for this as i dont want to waste money

If you do plan on going tech about the only thing you can keep is the reg. You will not be able to use the bc with doubles which is going to be a problem with tech diving. Get a backplate and wing. The cobra is not a tech computer. Most likely your tech instructor will recommend a wrist mount that you will use in gauge mode only to start. Its good you did not put any money down. It is all too common for shops to tell new divers that recreational gear will be fine for beginning tech. Fact is it will not work as well as starting out with gear that you can move thru tech levels with. Do not buy anything until you do more research. Feel free to pm me later for more as I'm at work now and time is limited. I hate when shops don't listen to students or try to talk over them to sell what is in the shops best interest. There's a whole chapter in my new book about dealing with this.

ditto what he said. Buy a good bottom timer, Uwatec or something and save yourself a bunch of money. Most likely you'll only use a computer in gauge mode anyway so it's irrelevant. BC is junk for any tech diving. You can probably buy a good BP/W for the same price.
I really despise dive shops and the scuba industry for crap like this and the insane markups... and everything else really.

and on the no not really realm, split fins don't work so hot for wreck diving and tech diving. They aren't allowed by most instructors as backing up and doing flat turns-helicopter turns, are either very difficult or next to impossible with these fins. Jetfin types are the standard, although fins like Diverites EXP fins and similar blade fins are fairly common as well.
I have a pair of the older Dive Rite fins that work fine in the pool with singles or playing around in sidemount, however I prefer my Jets and OMS Slipstreams for 99% of the diving I do

Disrupta, what these guys are saying is right on the money. I was in your position not to long ago. I told my LDS that I had an interest in moving into tech eventually. They said in their experience most people who say that, never do it, so it is just better to buy recreational equipment and then tech gear later. Don't get me wrong, my LDS has treated me very well since I started diving and what they told me in their experience is probably true. However, if I had purchased the gear I was initially interested in getting I wouldn't be looking for new fins, BCD and computer now.
Find a store in your area that trains tech and sells the gear. They will be able to get you into gear that is appropriate for your current level and will grow with you.

What they all said.

Tell the shop people the story as I'm sure you already have, cancel the order without thinking about it any longer as a courtesy to the shop, and if they are unwilling to accommodate you or make you feel uncomfortable.

Change shops.

I agree with what's been discussed previously. Taking it a step further, the OP should talk to some local tech divers or a tech diving instructor about gear options. Joining a dive club would also provide more opportunities to dive, improve on dive skills, meet new people, and have fun. Having access to the local dive community facilitates making good gear buying decisions. In many cases, dive acquaintances/buddies will allow one to try out gear before a diver has to plunk down the cash.

It is very common for divers to purchase more than one set of gear on the road from OW novice to tech diver. That being said, I recommend looking into canceling your current order since the equipment doesn't seem to be a good fit for your diving in the not-too-distant future.

FYI, I hope the OP realizes that, in the long run, the cost to replace a jacket BCD and air-integrated computer is a "drop in the bucket" when it comes to spending $$$ on gear/charters/gas for tech diving.

If your interested in doing Tec and more importantly doing it correctly you will be diving off tables using a bottom timer and depth gauge; only using a computer as a backup, (of which the cobra is not suited)! My advice would be to dive recreationally with a center that includes rental gear until you get enough knowledge about the dive environment and what equipment is better suited to what type of diving and the diving you are passionate about.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your interested in doing Tec and more importantly doing it correctly you will be diving off tables using a bottom timer and depth gauge; only using a computer as a backup, (of which the cobra is not suited)!
@BLUESEASONBALI: Doesn't the Cobra have a "gauge" mode that displays depth, dive time, and remaining gas pressure?

Back
Top Bottom