Hi! My name is Martijn - and I just went live with my sustainable scuba dive brand Divehack :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martijn de Jonge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone!

Nice to meet you all! My name is Martijn, I'm an PADI advanced diver and I have exiting news, because I just went live with my sustainable scuba diving brand :)

After a half year of hard work, yesterday I launched my sustainable dive brand Divehack. I did that with an awesome kick off video and a kickstarter-campaign. Divehack helps to protect the ocean and it’s aquatic life for future generations. We do so by using scuba divers must-have essentials - or seasentials as I call them - to solve most diving inconveniences and to make each trip a little more exited. And all these items are made with ocean preservation in mind, like an ocean cleanup bag, reef-safe sunscreen (which doesn’t harm the coral like most suncreams) and more.

I would love to hear your opinion and reviews :)

Nice to meet you! Cheers, Martijn

https://re.tc/divehack_lancering

Reactions: Dan
Hi Stefin! It's actually about The Ready Set :) That's my main product. All items are made with ocean preservation in mind, so a lot of recycled materials and harm free for the oceans and it's aquatic life. With the cleanup bag, reef safe sunscreen and all bio degradable items I try to do my bit in protecting the oceans for future generations :) I hope you like The Ready Set. T-shirts is just an extra, because it's fun :)

T-shirts and reef-safe sunscreen? Hardly innovative and not what I would call essentials of a “scuba diving brand”.
Agreed - not what I was expecting from the description. All stuff I either already have or have no use for. I also prefer not to touch the reef at all if I can avoid it and including a pointer stick encourages use, which is not a good thing to me. The box doesn't look gasketed/waterproof either which would be a big miss. It might be well intentioned, but I see nothing essential about it (at least for me)

My first thought was the pointer/poker stick does not promote your goal.
Nor does plastic single use case and plastic containers for sunscreen.
Maybe sell sunblocking clothing and wide brimmed hats instead of sunscreen.
I would buy a light weight, fast drying, hat and shirt combo.
I have no need for your random collection of items that produce more synthetic trash.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit surprised by some of the reactions, but that's ok: keeps me thinking! :)

About the sunscreen tube I'm proud to say that I use sugar cane bio plastic.
Still needs to be a tube for conservation and hygienic reasons.
I know sunblocking clothes work, but fact is that most people don't use it...

The box is waterproof and made out of recycled EPP, that are also old fish cooler boxes. How 'cool' is that! :) And it's absolutely no singe use, it's a keeper.
I like to dive with a pointer stick, because I can point out to the fishes my buddy and I are looking for. Nothing more, nothing less.

I did a lot divers interviews, market research and production reviews to get to the price point of 50, so I think I'm in the good way. If you sum up the cost for all items one by one - you will be higher than 50 and have to get all the items by yourself - and no nice designed box to store them. But yes, I can imagine if you don't need a sunscreen, pointer stick and more - maybe it's a bit high priced. But that's ok for me, I understand not everybody is interested.

Thanks for your reply guys :)
Martijn

So what's really new about this?
A tank o ring?
A rubber band?
A pointer stick? ( most stupid thing for a "reef safe" company )
Reef safe mask defog? A good spit is also reef safe and always within reach...
The reefsafe sunscreen is also already on the marked for some time.
I am really sorry but don't see why someone would fund this.

Hi Martijn

You need to do lots more research, perhaps chat to seasoned Dive Pro's in conservation areas.

I like that you're trying at least.

You need to make a big point that the plastic is sugar cane bio plastic

The sunscreen is good, but I'd include environmentally friendly shower gel, shampoo and conditioner
If you're going to supply an O-ring, supply more than one, and put in a divers multitool

Dump teh pointer stick. First it's junk, second a decent one while valuable should only be used by a "skilled" diver who knows what they're doing with it. I've confiscated more than one from divers doing more bad than good.

throw away the carabina, replace with a bolt snap if you must

Elastic again throw away replace with 2/3mm bungee cord

The first aid parts are okay - nothing special. Mask clear - either spit or baby shampoo

50 Euros - Seriously think again.

As someone who lives and dives significantly in the tropics (Middle East) there is nothing in that kit that would make me consider purchasing it especially at that price.

So nice attempt and I applaud the concept, but you need to completely re-think

Back
Top Bottom