Hi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks,
There is a lot of things on this site alone to learn. I've only been diving for about 2 weeks, but I LOVE IT.

Well, you're in the right state! Have you tried the diving in Key Largo yet? If you get some dives in and get nitrox certified, you might want to try Jupiter, Fl, for the goliath grouper aggregation. The links are to a couple of my trip reports in case it would help to see what's involved.

While there's fine diving in the Caribbean, since you're in Florida be mindful you don't need to leave the state. I'm in Kentucky and it was worth it for me to come down. And there's a lot there popular that I haven't done; shallow shore diving at Blue Heron Bridge, shore diving the Lauderdale By The Sea site in Ft. Lauderdale, boat diving out of West Palm Beach, and more besides.

Richard.

I've already got nitrox , I did that at the same time as open water .
I'm looking to go pro in the diving industry .
The next time I get home I'm thinking about the Keys or Boynton and add on deep water with ship wreck .

Not to cool your enthusiasm, but there are a number of discussions on the forum about people over-zealously pursuing professional status (e.g.: dive master or instructor) way too early in the scuba hobby. From what people have to say, it is often far from lucrative, the prime locations often highly competitive, and the realities of teaching, working for a dive shop or boat, etc..., often entail a life style far different from what the aspiring pro hoped for.

It's also been put forward that the requirements to become a DM or Instructor are rather minimal, and you'll see the phrase 'zero to hero' used at times.

I think some people think to pursue professional status thinking that's how you get to be a really good diver. After all, if you want to really master something, wouldn't becoming a pro be the way to go?

If you don't have 25 dives in yet, and for that matter a good deal more, we're getting ahead of ourselves, but I'll say that there are a number of self-improvement paths to build skill, knowledge & experience without getting DM or Instructor credentials. You'll see people talk about GUE Fundamentals later, but just diving a lot with good mentors can do a lot.

If you do PADI Deep Diver, be mindful that basic course is also rather minimalist. You can learn a lot about deep diving on this forum, and you should to supplement what you'll learn in the course. Discussion about nitrogen narcosis at depth, gas reserves, thinking about how much has it'd take you & a buddy to do a proper ascent and safety stop from depth in an anxious state, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, seriously consider aiming for Rescue Diver once you're comfortable with the basic skills in the water. It can do a lot for your mindfulness and maturing as a diver. It is not just a 'volunteer scuba lifeguard' course.

Richard.

I'm new here as well. I've been wanting to dive Blue Heron Bridge..wondering if there are any divers heading over there this weekend (Saturday/Sunday 01/17-01/18).

I'm new to the sport and to the board. Just looking around to see what all the site is about.

Welcome Gottago!!

I'm looking to dive loch low Minn in athens tn on 5/30/15 . Just looking to see if anyone is in the area who wants to be a dive buddy ?

Back
Top Bottom