Higashi Izu Penninsula in May, guided dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Varun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I will be visiting Nippon for 2 weeks in May, primarily staying in the tokyo area. I'm interested in doing some dives off the Izu penninsula, & was wondering if anyone had recommendations for dive groups. I came across Mar Scuba's website, are they reputable?

Thank you,
--Varun

There are three major groups (for foreigners)... Mar scuba (Matthew), Tokyo European divers (French instructor) and Discovery Divers Tokyo. They are not dive shops but groups of divers with instructors and dive masters organizing trips. I think they are all "reliable" with DDT being the biggest and most active group.

Diving in Izu was dry suit only until now and a lot of us are waking up from winter sleep.

Some info here
http://www.discoverydiverstokyo.com/

Feel free to contact all of them.... They all have a website and a Facebook group.... I usually dive with DDT, fun bunch of people.

There are three major groups (for foreigners)... Mar scuba (Matthew), Tokyo European divers (French instructor) and Discovery Divers Tokyo. They are not dive shops but groups of divers with instructors and dive masters organizing trips. I think they are all "reliable" with DDT being the biggest and most active group.

Diving in Izu was dry suit only until now and a lot of us are waking up from winter sleep.

Some info here
Welcome to Discovery Divers Tokyo

Feel free to contact all of them.... They all have a website and a Facebook group.... I usually dive with DDT, fun bunch of people.

Water temperature is between 16 and 17 degree Celsius in Izu right now. As for visibility, it is recently less than 5 meters. You should expect better visibility from the second half of May. Neoprene Dry Suits rental is usually possible in most of Dive Centers, but the biggest issue for foreigners remains the size... May is still a bit "off-season" right now. Waking up slowly...
Best season is September to December, November being best because of visibility and high water temperature.

Cheers,

Nicolas

15-20 meters in Kumomi today... Maybe worthy to have a look next week.

Dove last week around osezaki - Izu. Water was 17c and about 5 meters visibility. Tolerable in a 5mm with Hood. I am going through the process of getting licensed to own and operate an Airfill station. it will be located at my Shop in Gotemba. WE plan to dive IZU and the Fuji Lakes this summer. The downside to diving in Mainland Japan is the High price of tank rentals and service. 1 person 2 dives each is about 5,000Yen at Osezaki and 7000 Yen for 2 dives at IOP. I'm used to the 3 Dollar on Base and 500 Yen off base rental of Okinawa. very disappointed in the greediness of the Dive training and service expense in Mainland Japan.

I don't like to drag up old topics but I noticed the Tokyo European Divers revamped their website and added a nice calendar! For people interested in diving in Kanto, Tokyo area of Japan exploring Izu peninsula may want to check it out!
http://www.tokyodivers.com/

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom