high altitude diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawgboyd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know of decompression data for use above 10,000 feet elevation? And if so where to get the data?

It's all theoretical.

I believe programs such as the V-planner will give you that information.

I once looked into doing a deco dive at 14,000 feet. The NDL was painfully short, and the deco obligations were painfully long.

Good luck.

It's all theoretical..

...and controversial. Believe it or not, some people argue there is no need to factor altitude into dive planning at all.

I wrote a calculator several years ago. SecurityGeek.Net

I personally don't compensate for altitude on my dives.

I beg to differ. There is a set of tables for diving in the range of 8200ft to 14800ft. It was developed and field tested at Lake Titicaca by a rather obscure man by the name of Bühlmann. The tables are published in his books.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe that just because tables on altitude diving have been published doesn't mean they aren't theoretical, no matter how sound the reasoning may appear.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Bühlmanns's tables are not theoretical, they were tested at altitudes up to 4000m. The full test protocoll was published in UHMS 39 - Flying after Diving, which is available at Rubicon. And one reson he started looking into diving at altitude was that there where cases of DCI when diving on sea-level tabels in Switzerland.

Two quick thoughts:
  • Ultra high altitude lakes tend to be shallow. If that is true in your case then it may even be shallow enough to dive on pure oxygen, or at least a highly enriched nitrox mix. That would significantly mitigate your risks.
  • Thalassamania was involved in the world record highest ever altitude dive by Dr Charles Brush in Lago Licancabur (at around 17,000 feet). I am sure if you PM'ed him he would share his insights.

Back
Top Bottom