high Blood pressure and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched from Lisinopril to Moexipril because of the cough and it's been fine for decades and never had any problems diving with it. Recently it became generic.

They're both ACE inhibitors and I have no idea why one makes me cough and the other doesn't, but there are a ton of meds available. You might have to try a few to find the right one.

flots

flygirl74, the carvedilol is a medication from a class called beta blockers. This type of medication can blunt the reflex increased heart rate that ought to occur when your blood pressure falls, and it can also prevent the heart from speeding up as much as it needs to when you exercise. This particular class of medications is not a good first choice for someone who is diving.

My resting heart rate without meds is 80-95. One of the first things I noticed with the Carvedilol was the slower heart rate. Now my normal rested heart rate is 55-70. It has made it tough when it comes to working out since getting to the target cardio heart rate is impossible. I've discussed this with the doctor and was told that just because my heart rate doesn't get into the "target" range doesn't mean I'm not getting my work out. On the plus side I've noticed that it keeps me calmer. One thing I've also noticed is that I get winded easier and that was a concern of mine when I first started diving, which hasn't been a problem. The reason I was put on the Carvedilol was because back in early sprimg the doctor thought I had stenosis of the arteries to my kidneys. I've been cleared of that and to be honest my BP is the best it's been since my late 20's taking this combo of meds. That being said I still question if I should make an appointment to ask to be changed? I'm a avid snow skiier and now with diving I wonder if there would be a better combo of meds for me? I would love to come off them all together but I've learned and been told by several doctors that it's never going to be an opition.

---------- Post Merged at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:28 AM ----------

I just realized there is medical section of the forum! Very cool. Posted over there.

20mg of Benazepril a day for me and no issues whatsoever. I do 4 miles in 32 minutes on the elliptical 1-2 times per week and work about 55 hrs a week.

Mike

Thanks to all who posted and especially those that take similar meds. The internet is a wonderful place to research, but sometimes it can make one over think and stress things. Had a nice long chat with my Cardiologist's nurse about my worries and how my meds have been. Happily I can report that I'm getting to cut back on some of my Carvedilol!! My Cardio Dr. feels very comfortable with me and SCUBA. I'm so looking forward to our first big SCUBA trip. Also contacted DAN and was given a list of Dr. if I feel like I need it in the future. Thanks again to all!! Now I just need to figure out what to pack!
04.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom