high blood Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gehadoski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear All

I don't know if this is the right area to post this thread or not.
Couple of days ago, I had a high blood pressure, I had to go to the doctor. The doctor measured my blood pressure and it was 170/100. Don't know if it is moderate high, or very high. He gave me injection and medication.

He told me that I have this high blood pressure due to stress. I wonder if 170/100 is so bad and what should I do if I feel the symptoms of high blood pressure to avoid it from getting very high?

Well, there isn't anything you can do when you feel the symptoms of high blood pressure, because there really aren't any. This is one of the big problems with hypertension -- People don't know they have it, and it's hard to stay motivated to take medication for it when it doesn't actually bother you.

170/100 is in the range of moderate hypertension, and if this blood pressure is typical, it definitely needs treatment. It is important to know, however, whether this reading is typical or not. Blood pressure (in EVERYBODY) is labile to a certain degree. It rises and falls with circadian rhythm, and with the person's level of arousal. We talk about "white coat hypertension", where a person who is nervous about being at the doctor's office will have a high reading, but repeated checks under less stressful situations show normal. I often see patients in the ER who are in pain who have readings like yours, but once the pain is relieved, the blood pressure falls to normal. So it's a good idea either to get a gadget to measure your blood pressure at home, or make a few trips to Rite-Aid or someplace where you can get repeated readings. (Our ER will measure blood pressure for anybody at no charge.)

The big risks of hypertension come over time -- It increases the likelihood of arterial disease, heart attack and stroke. There are things you can do to help control your blood pressure -- If you are overweight, losing even ten pounds can result in a constructive change. Reducing stress can help, too. But many people with hypertension cannot get their blood pressure to normal without medications. We have some very good BP meds nowadays, with far fewer side effects than some of the older medications.

It's good that this was caught and that you are getting treatment. It will reduce your long-term risks of debilitating events. Keep a log of your blood pressures at home, and share it with your doctor at your follow-up appointment, so he can know how effective the medication he's prescribing is for you.

Additionally, the new trend in thoughts on blood pressure is 170/100 is considered High Risk. I have high blood pressure and take lisinopril which has my blood pressure under control. Even though you currently don't feel bad from having high blood pressure, getting your blood pressure under control will make you feel better. It made me feel more like myself.

Additionally, the new trend in thoughts on blood pressure is 170/100 is considered High Risk. I have high blood pressure and take lisinopril which has my blood pressure under control. Even though you currently don't feel bad from having high blood pressure, getting your blood pressure under control will make you feel better. It made me feel more like myself.

I take Lisinopril, as well, and it has made a world of difference in my BP. I've been taking it for three years.

Yes, lisinopril is one of the drugs I was thinking about, when I said that the newer drugs have so many fewer side effects than the old ones.

It is a diuretic, so it will keeping you hopping... :11:

Thank you all for your concern and the useful information you gave me.
The Symptoms that I am talking about are feeling numing through my hands and through legs. My consentration is to the min. I find some difficulty in thinking. These symptoms happened only on the day when I went to the doctor. But after I took the injection and went to the toilet for 5 times. I felt much better. I wonder weather these are the symptoms of HBP, or these are symptoms for something else?

I never had any of the sensations your are describing but ScubaTexan is right, lisinopril is a diuretic and I have found that the urge to urinate comes on strong and intense regardless of how much urine is in your bladder. Maybe I should think about having a P-valve installed in my drysuit....?

Lisinopril is not a diuretic. It is a drug that interferes with a hormone pathway that regulates the amount of salt the body retains. There are combination meds that combine lisinopril with a diuretic, however.

Thanks for clarifying! You wouldn't happen to know the drug interaction between lisinopril and bentyl would you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom