high blood Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmmmmm.....I guess I stand corrected, as well. I could have sworn... :confused:

Lisinopril is not a diuretic. It is a drug that interferes with a hormone pathway that regulates the amount of salt the body retains. There are combination meds that combine lisinopril with a diuretic, however.

When taking a diuretic for blood pressure regulation, should you alter your water intake or drink Gatoraid ?? to offset the side effects of passing more liquid than you normally would?

My BP use to trend high but when I cut out caffeine(soda/coffee) and salt it is now normal

Caffine can cause the blood vessels to constrict therefore increasing blood pressure. Salt, we all know about.

Hypertension has been on my mind, just found out yesterday that mine sometimes is very high. Another employee brought her wrist BP monitor into work and the gang all took readings through the day. I've ordered a wrist BP moniter to help better understand what I can do to help reduce the high readings.

Yesterday my BP was high enough all day that a doctor would have put me on meds, and I had lots of coffee in the morning and thru the day. Today, no coffee, just 1 cup of tea in the morning, and BP seems fairly normal, although a bit high in the morning.

Anyway, I thought $30 was not a bad price to pay for the wrist monitor, it will be great help to understand what changes I need to make...

When taking a diuretic for blood pressure regulation, should you alter your water intake or drink Gatoraid ?? to offset the side effects of passing more liquid than you normally would?

The short answer is no. You do want to maintain a normal intake of fluid, but you don't want to consume salt-laden drinks like Gatorade, nor do you need to push water volumes. People on chronic diuretic therapy do have a slightly contracted intravascular volume compared with untreated people, but the body adapts. I am not aware of any literature that says one's DCS risk is increased by chronic diuretic therapy.

Back
Top Bottom