http://www.diveheart.org/

High End L.A Sushi Restaurant busted by 'The Cove' producers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people will do anything for "status" and the fact that it outrages people makes it that much more attractive for them.

I know I am going to get skewered for this...but I love how we humans arbitrarily decide what to eat based on anthropomorphizing of animals.

So someone is FINE with going it to eat sushi...but not if it is a whale?

You do know that fish feel pain right?
Fish Feel Pain, Study Finds | LiveScience
- Do Fish Feel Pain? The science behind whether Fish Feel Pain

So should we now ban eating fish? How about other animals, we know they feel pain. Did you also know that there is some thought that plants feel pain as well?

WikiAnswers - How can a plant feel pain without a nervous system

So now do we stop eating all mammals, fish, plants, and just start living off water and sunshine?

I actually have never eaten whale and probably would not, but I just find it funny the selective moral outrage over what someone eats.

Not a matter of feeling pain. It's a matter of what species we chose and their intelligence and social abilities. Don't know many fish with the intelligence and social organization of dolphins and whales.

Good to see both a news article and an editorial on this in today's Lost Angeles Times.

wow...that's an interesting story...

i am a high school teacher and just showed the cove to my students this week...we were so shocked to see what goes down in taiji...so glad that they were exposed.

were fortunate to have documentaries like the cove & sharkwater to make us aware of our human impact on the world....what is really frustrating is that there is a demand for shark fin...especially within the asian culture. I think it's so stupid to serve shark fin soup at weddings...it's all just for status...

On that similar note...I'm enrolled in a contest to try and win wedding photography and our main competition is serving shark fin soup at their wedding and is proud of it...pls. help us beat them by voting Princess & Nigel - Colour, Cats & Candy.

Renaissance Studios Photography BIG Win Your Wedding Photography Contest 2011 | Ontario

Thanks. And while I sent an email to these bums I have a hard time seeing where somebody wearing a cut up pool toy on their head gives any real credence to the protest. Stick with placards and signs and chants.

Not a matter of feeling pain. It's a matter of what species we chose and their intelligence and social abilities. Don't know many fish with the intelligence and social organization of dolphins and whales.

I myself don't like the thought of killing and eating whales, but I recognize it's because of my subjective emotional connection with them. So I am wary of trying to impose those beliefs on others.

I'm sure if you ask the zillions of beef cows in the US, they'd be highly in favor of humans eating more whale meat.

I also agree that if a species is endangered because of human activity, then it should be protected and making hunting/killing/selling/serving of it's meat illegal is an important component in this.

However, I do agree with AquaExplorer that we should consider WHY we favor and protect certain animals over others before we expect everyone else to abide by our beliefs of what should and shouldn't be eaten.

A dolphin is probably smarter and has considerably more social ability than an infant human or even a toddler. Does that mean we should value the dolphin's life above the life of the human?

It's not an easy area within which to take a moral stand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom