http://www.diveheart.org/

High End L.A Sushi Restaurant busted by 'The Cove' producers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I am going to get skewered for this...but I love how we humans arbitrarily decide what to eat based on anthropomorphizing of animals.

So someone is FINE with going it to eat sushi...but not if it is a whale?

You do know that fish feel pain right?
Fish Feel Pain, Study Finds | LiveScience
- Do Fish Feel Pain? The science behind whether Fish Feel Pain

So should we now ban eating fish? How about other animals, we know they feel pain. Did you also know that there is some thought that plants feel pain as well?

WikiAnswers - How can a plant feel pain without a nervous system

So now do we stop eating all mammals, fish, plants, and just start living off water and sunshine?

I actually have never eaten whale and probably would not, but I just find it funny the selective moral outrage over what someone eats.

I don't think that it has anything to do with the animal feeling pain.

We eat beef. You brand a cow and it clearly expresses pain.

It has more to do with the fact that it is the consumption of an endangered species.

So when Kobe Beef ends up on the endangered species list, I'm going to be pissed if someone cooks it up and eats it.

If we can get species of whales off the endangered list, or near endangered list, and get them back to harvestable and sustainable level, then whale away. Until then it is bad karma.

Soon tuna is going to be on that list. That is going to be a sad day. I love tuna rolls, especially hot and spicy tuna rolls. I'll stop eating them if it means I may get to at some point down the road.

The anti-whaling thing is tough to explain to Eskimos on the North Slope, St. Lucians, and Bequians who have been doing this since time immemorial.
I think the IWC quotas for each group is set at 4 whales per year per group, and I know that the St. Lucians and Bequians rarely can fill that. They sure do get all whooped up over the season.
Maybe just stay away from these places if the whaling really upsets you that much. The hunts are not tourist events in any case.
Or maybe they'd stop if more tourists went there, spent more money, and changed the body-dynamic of life there.
I don't have an answer for questions like this anymore. I don't approve of whaling and I don't like whale meat. The people there are terrific folks in any event.
That was probably some pretty nasty whale meat the guy in LA was serving. It must have had the attraction that eating fugu does for patrons. Fugu is pretty boring - a pasty whitish piece of gunk that kills you in 20 minutes if it's been cut wrong. Lost on me.

The anti-whaling thing is tough to explain to Eskimos on the North Slope, St. Lucians, and Bequians who have been doing this since time immemorial.
I think the IWC quotas for each group is set at 4 whales per year per group, and I know that the St. Lucians and Bequians rarely can fill that. They sure do get all whooped up over the season.
Maybe just stay away from these places if the whaling really upsets you that much. The hunts are not tourist events in any case.
Or maybe they'd stop if more tourists went there, spent more money, and changed the body-dynamic of life there.
I don't have an answer for questions like this anymore. I don't approve of whaling and I don't like whale meat. The people there are terrific folks in any event.
That was probably some pretty nasty whale meat the guy in LA was serving. It must have had the attraction that eating fugu does for patrons. Fugu is pretty boring - a pasty whitish piece of gunk that kills you in 20 minutes if it's been cut wrong. Lost on me.

Sebastian Junger's book - Fire, had an interesting chapter on the St Lucian's whaling history and current efforts. At that writing there was only one hunter left who nearing retirement.

I have had extensive contact with whales of several species when I worked for four years as a marine biologist on Lindblad Expeditions eco-cruises through the Sea of Cortez. I also grew up in a family that raised dairy cows.

I never once saw a cow demonstrating the interspecific awareness and attempt at communication that I've witnessed in whales. I've had female gray whales push their newborn calves towards our Zodiac in an obvious attempt to "introduce" us. I've had a female gray come over to our boat and solicit human contact. When we had to pull away after our allotted time limit expired, she came over to us, lifted the Zodiac part way out of the water and dragged us back over to our original point of contact.

I've never had a cow do anything like that. The closest contact the females seemed to allow was when I was squeezing their nipples.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom