High frame rate revolution - GoPro 2.7K 60p & 720 240p firmware coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone is questioning that the GoPro is a great action camera. It's small size, low price and very wide angle lens makes it a great tool for point of view and action shots.

It's amazing what it does for it's size and price. Perfect for beginner and mid level UW video hobbyists. However, if people want to get more serious and create videos that tell a good story, a camera with a more versatile lens is needed.

GoPro can still be used for certain shots, but I don't want to watch a full 5+ minute video of nothing but wide angle point of view action clips. For the more serious videographers, the GoPro is a specialty tool and not their main camera.

A photography analogy would be lens choice. If you were going to travel the world taking pictures and take only one lens, would it be a 50mm or 10mm ?

I think sooner or later, GoPro will release models with different lenses.

Just to add my 2cents, we purchased the gopro pkg for around 800 dllrs. We once priced a gates system if that is the correct name. The whole pkg cost around 4 grand. More than likely the gates would of been much better dont really know For the 2-6 minute vids on scubaboatd the gopro is very nice for us and probably the majority of posters.

Just to add my 2cents, we purchased the gopro pkg for around 800 dllrs. We once priced a gates system if that is the correct name. The whole pkg cost around 4 grand. More than likely the gates would of been much better dont really know For the 2-6 minute vids on scubaboatd the gopro is very nice for us and probably the majority of posters.

That's not a fair comparison
Gates it's semi pro and pro equipment not for a holiday diver whilst gopro is a beginner tool or something for specific purposes ( nat Geo may take 5" is an helmet of a climber or similar that does not mean the shoot with gopro in mind)
There are many options in between that allow you to tell a story 5 minutes of wide angle fixed lens camera bore anyone except the person who shot the clip maybe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom