High frame rate revolution - GoPro 2.7K 60p & 720 240p firmware coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry you are unable to read what I said I will try and make it simpler for you

At 50p or 60p a camera shoots default 1/100 and 1/125 it only drops to 1/50 and 1/60 when ISO is maxed out

At 24/25p and 30p the default is 1/50 or 1/60 dropping to 1/25 and 1/30 at max ISO

You never shoot 50p 1/50 or 60p 1/60 or 24/25p 1/25 30p 1/30 because it looks crap, in fact when you do slow motion even if the frame rate recording was high say 120 fps you use a shutter speed of 1/250 so that when you slow it down to 30p you freeze movement

The amount of motion blur that is tolerable is why the 180 shutter rule exist and it is not the latest camera that apply this rule it has been going for the last 5 years on digital cameras and even longer on camcorders as it comes from shooting film

GoPro MAX ISO can be set to ISO 400 or 1600 so shooting 60p under low-light situations, the camera will switch to 1/60sec at the chosen ISO when noise levels are still acceptable. MAX ISO for Sony APS-C mirrorless cameras is 3200 which is still pretty clean so no need to go to 1/60sec below ISO 3200.

I've gotten very good low-light results shooting 1/60sec 60p for 60p playback for family and work projects. Proclaiming over and over again 60p 1/60sec = crap doesn't make it so and it only broadcasts to the entire forum Interceptor121 doesn't know how to deal with it.

Last edited:
I will be looking forward to your videos!
By the way at 1600 the go pro looks gross and the sony too as they have poor codecs. Best case you can push a sony digital camera to 800 before it becomes mush

You said it yourself you were uploading at 30p so half of the frame were being binned and you were just wasting disk space. I have done the same too when it comes to youtube but if I press pause on a frame at 50p the image is pretty much frozen

Either way this is a useless discussion as double frame rate does not cut it for underwater use

Now onto youtube to look for your productions!

By the way at 1600 the go pro looks gross and the sony too as they have poor codecs. Best case you can push a sony digital camera to 800 before it becomes mush!

Sony A7s - enough said. Another Interceptor121 Proclaiming that can so easily be proven wrong!

You said it yourself you were uploading at 30p so half of the frame were being binned and you were just wasting disk space. I have done the same too when it comes to youtube but if I press pause on a frame at 50p the image is pretty much frozen

Either way this is a useless discussion as double frame rate does not cut it for underwater use.

I said I'd replaced all of my YouTube 30p video with the 60p version as soon as YouTube 60p steaming became available. Proclaiming double frame rate does not cut it for underwater use over and over again doesn't make it so. It only broadcasts Interceptor121 doesn't know how to deal with fast frame rate.

I just watched your only clip on YouTube. Fast frame rate is not s license for those rapid pans of yours and the image quality looks coarse even at the surface. Anyway enough education I leave you to tour blurb and fast panning sea lion in sickmanscope 60p!

Hiding behind a fake name allows this guy to make blatantly false proclamations over and over again and hurl insults on this and other forums without owning up to the behavior. Priceless!

The internet and discussion boards are a great source of information. Some info is 100% accurate non debatable fact, some info is 100% wrong, in between is opinion based on experience, knowledge and personal preference.

I watched the seal video. Definitely liked the smooth motion the 60p allowed.

I try to be respectful sharing my opinions, experience and knowledge. If it's not too difficult I'll post a video example. Video examples may or may not change people's minds, but at least it shows the basis of your opinion.

Last edited:
Hey Ron,

I bought my wife a new Hero4 Silver edition. I've not done any filming with the GoPros myself. I also have lights for her. It might be a bit of overkill but I got such a sweet deal on some close outs on Sola 2000's that I bought four. Two for me and two for her GoPro. That's a lot of light for a GoPro I guess. But my question is this. What setting would you recommend for her to use when filming underwater. She won't be doing any significant editing afterwards.

Thanks

Hey Ron,

I bought my wife a new Hero4 Silver edition. I've not done any filming with the GoPros myself. I also have lights for her. It might be a bit of overkill but I got such a sweet deal on some close outs on Sola 2000's that I bought four. Two for me and two for her GoPro. That's a lot of light for a GoPro I guess. But my question is this. What setting would you recommend for her to use when filming underwater. She won't be doing any significant editing afterwards.

Thanks

If you are not doing any editing, I'd recommend shooting 1080p 60 frames, ultra wide, protune off, auto white balance. Daytime filter only. Night dives or dark dives, lights no filter.

Once you and she get comfortable, experiment with lights during the day for closeups and macro. Depending on what you are trying shoot, you might prefer to shoot daytime without lights and just a filter. Only way to form your own opinion is to try it. But as a starting point, I'd definitely suggest getting used to shooting video with just a filter. You'll have enough to think about at the start and positioning lights extended out on arms adds to task loading.

Thanks Ron. I still have my Sony camcorder and Light and Motion housing but it's getting tempting to start using a GoPro.

Thanks Ron. I still have my Sony camcorder and Light and Motion housing but it's getting tempting to start using a GoPro.

Sorry, I didn't notice who was asking the question. Forgot you are an experienced UW shooter.

I sold my big Sony camcorder and Gates housing. It was a great system, but changes in my personal life put big dive focused vacations as a non priority. I bought a GoPro for fun and to keep me occupied on casual dives. Great little camera for wide angle shooting, but I quickly grew frustrated with it's limitations. Currently using a Panasonic LX7. Very happy with it.

GoPro still has its place though. It's small size allows shots that are not practical with bigger cameras. Clamped to a bike, moving car, extended on a rod/stick, mounted on a helmut, POV point of view shots, etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom