High frame rate revolution - GoPro 2.7K 60p & 720 240p firmware coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LED datasheets cover the entire product range. Whether the manufacturer was right and
they bought the 5000K version I don't know. Anyway, my main light will be a halogen,
which I plan to mod with the LED panels of my choice (sg around 4000-4500K).

In the Cree datasheet it states 5000 to 8300K
One the webpages selling the light as photo or video it says 5000K by that's not true
Practically your light will be around 7000-7500K I had an epoque with similar challenge and it was colder than my sola 6500K
There is also high variance between two bulbs because all in all this stuff is cheap

There is no 5000K version
http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXML.pdf

The U2 is The most Powerful LED of the 3 all have a range of 5000-8300K and CRI=65 which is ok

Sola themselves are made with Cree led but am not sure which ones
It's interesting that light and motion says their beam angle is 60 and the cheaper one say 120. The actual led may be 120 but not necessarily the resulting beam in water

...and CRI=65 which is ok

Oucha, that hurts me more, than an e.g. 6000K color temp. I wanted something 80+CRI.
In water it's surely less than 120°, because it has a flat lens. It is a decent flood I can confirm
(had some very nice night dives with the thing), 90° should be there.

Probably a single bulb is 105 however you need to account to dispersion and absorption in water. Sola has 6 elements and declares 60 degrees actually they are 65. How many elements are in the archon? The issue is of course cut off at the edges

How do CRI specs translate to what we see UW ? Seriously. If I look at a subject lit with a 65 CRI light vs an 85 CRI light, what are the visual differences ?

Comparing my halogen lights to my LED, the color temperature differences are easy to see both UW and topside. The LED light has a very cold science lab look to it.

Maybe you won't see an 65-85 difference, it depends on personal sensitivity and "experience" of your eyes. Lower cri means less
color tones. E.g I have red LED's in my D32vr as well - if I use them, of course I have a very warm light (monochromatic red, cri<20), however it only brings the red back, not the other tones.

How do CRI specs translate to what we see UW ? Seriously. If I look at a subject lit with a 65 CRI light vs an 85 CRI light, what are the visual differences ?

Comparing my halogen lights to my LED, the color temperature differences are easy to see both UW and topside. The LED light has a very cold science lab look to it.

Actually that is exactly that LED lights have CRI 60-85 while halogen are 90-100

However there are also warmer LED with higher CRI but generally the cheap ones are those that look like a bathroom...

I have shot all my clips in 2012 and 2013 in double frame rate as it was the highest bitrate and it was a mistake I went to Raja Ampat and it was not that bright I wish I had shot it at 1/50 25p.

Raja Ampat 50p 1/100 shutter speed

In 2014 I shot in 25p 1/50 shutter speed I went to Galapagos and despite the light was not good I managed good colors

There is no point shooting 60p and using 1/60 as you will have motion blur if you slow it down
So the 180 rule applies and it is correct 25p 1/50 50p 1/100 etc
The camera will default to a slower speed only when ISO is maxed out and on a Gopro you can't choose shutter speeds
So am not sure about the point you want to make here
If you shoot 60p you use 1/125 otherwise there is no point bothering

First claimed under low-light conditions 1/50sec 25p was desirable, then insisted there's no point shooting 1/50sec 50p under low-light conditions. LOL!

180 shutter rule was for shooting slow frame rates only (1/50sec for 24-25fps, and 1/60sec for 30p) to introduce motion blur so that 24/25/30p footage won't look unacceptably choppy, also because 1/30sec 1/25sec shutters make the frames way too soft.

OTOH, shooting 60p for 60p playback one can shoot 1/240sec and the 60p panning shots will still play back absolutely smooth and the individual frame sharp - free of motion blur.

The latest digital cameras like GoPro and Sony 5N and newer can shoot 1/fps - 1/60sec 60p and 1/50sec 50p precisely for low-light conditions - indoor, nighttime, and underwater. When there's plenty of light underwater, use 1/120sec for 60p. When the light level gets low, GoPro and other digital cameras will automatically switch to 1/fps.

First claimed under low-light conditions 1/50sec 25p was desirable, then insisted there's no point shooting 1/50sec 50p under low-light conditions. LOL!

180 shutter rule was for shooting slow frame rates only (1/50sec for 24-25fps, and 1/60sec for 30p) to introduce motion blur so that 24/25/30p footage won't look unacceptably choppy, also because 1/30sec 1/25sec shutters make the frames way too soft.

OTOH, shooting 60p for 60p playback one can shoot 1/240sec and the 60p panning shots will still play back absolutely smooth and the individual frame sharp - free of motion blur.

The latest digital cameras like GoPro and Sony 5N and newer can shoot 1/fps - 1/60sec 60p and 1/50sec 50p precisely for low-light conditions - indoor, nighttime, and underwater. When there's plenty of light underwater, use 1/120sec for 60p. When the light level gets low, GoPro and other digital cameras will automatically switch to 1/fps.

I am sorry you are unable to read what I said I will try and make it simpler for you

At 50p or 60p a camera shoots default 1/100 and 1/125 it only drops to 1/50 and 1/60 when ISO is maxed out

At 24/25p and 30p the default is 1/50 or 1/60 dropping to 1/25 and 1/30 at max ISO

You never shoot 50p 1/50 or 60p 1/60 or 24/25p 1/25 30p 1/30 because it looks crap, in fact when you do slow motion even if the frame rate recording was high say 120 fps you use a shutter speed of 1/250 so that when you slow it down to 30p you freeze movement

The amount of motion blur that is tolerable is why the 180 shutter rule exist and it is not the latest camera that apply this rule it has been going for the last 5 years on digital cameras and even longer on camcorders as it comes from shooting film

Dropping to same shutter of frame rate has also been around since ages and is nothing new at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom