High IP - Hollis dc2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm taking my regs in for a service tomorrow, but was curious if anyone has ideas of what can cause the following symptoms. On my last dive I notice my reg was more apt to freeflow, and that it was breathing a little wet. Tonight I checked and the internal pressure is about 180, usually it is 130. Anyone know what can cause this?

Last edited:
is it going sharply to 180 and locking in or hitting 130 and creeping to 180?

Pretty much going sharply to 180, it never stops anywhere along the way.

I suspect that at 180, some downstream device starts to vent that over pressure so it probably still has not locked up. In any event, it is time for some service. You could play around troubleshooting some more, but in the end something is wrong inside and needs to be fixed or replaced. Could be a soft or hard seat failure or could be as simple as a leaking balance chamber o-ring. I don't mess with diaphragm regs much so I'm unsure of the correct terminology. In any event, something that is supposed to be isolating HP from IP is asking for attention.

A sharp increase suggests the high pressure seat is leaking. It could be a balance chamber o-ring, but that's not as likely.

As AWAP suggests it could be venting through a seocnd stage at 180 psi (very likely) or the damaged seat or orifice could finely be sealing at that pressure.

Either way, its in need of repair.

Pretty much going sharply to 180, it never stops anywhere along the way.

Listen to your 2nds - at least one should be hissing quite noticably if the problem is the reg. If not, I would put the IP gauge on the top of my suspects list.

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to see if the LDS will let me watch the rebuild so that I can learn a little more. I am confident it's not the IP gauge because I checked another set of regs with it and they were the same as the last time I checked them ~130. My second stage and octo did hiss a little yesterday while I was looking them over. I have the reg in my truck and will take it in for service after work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom