High O2 deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene:
. Total deco times will be in the 30-40 min range for each dive. Ox tox seems to be a potential worry.

Any thoughts on this? Any recommendations on safety precautions, other than watching each other carefully for convulsions or blackouts? One of the members of our club recommended trying to breathe normobaric O2 for 30-40 min before going on the trip, to see if either of us reacted badly.

Victor J.

Victor,

May i suggestt that you take a propper tecnical diver training, then you will understand completley the O2 issue, depth issue and breathing several mixes in one dive.

MonkSeal:
You probably meant 15-25 feet.

No. He meant what he typed.

tyrell:
May i suggest that you take a proper tecnical diver training, then you will understand completley the O2 issue, depth issue and breathing several mixes in one dive.

Thanks to all for the useful info and suggestions. I have definitely learned a lot, and the info here plus some personal research have clarified many issues about our upcoming trip to Bikini.

To summarize:

1) Although I agree that formal tech diver training would be desirable before the trip, this is no longer an option since it is only a month away. We do have training and practice in deep diving, deco diving on air, and in basic Nitrox. Tech diver certification is not a requirement for diving in Bikini. However, I will get and read the IANTD course materials from our LDS. I have scientific training, and I think that I should have no trouble understanding the issues and explaining them to my son.

2) I have started playing around with the GAP RGBM software, and this has convinced me that the smartest option is indeed to generate our own deco schedules and bailout tables. In fact, it should allow us to plan the dives in detail based on multilevel profiles and our known air consumption, and leaving room for situations where we may miss the ascent line and the deco station. The tables can then be discussed with the DM to ensure that we are all on the same wavelength. Diving ad hoc tables will also free us from relying on computers that may or may not be up to the task.

3) As a backup option, I have inquired about the availability of Nitek 3 computers from the dive op. This would of course not replace the tables, but give us an extra option to decide on deco schedules and to calculate accumulated CNS toxicity.

I believe that this is a reasonable plan for the trip. BTW, the Aladdin Pro (which we will take along anyway) is the only air computer that has been proven to be reliable for the Bikini wreck program. But most likely, we will be diving with bottom timers only.

Thanks again,

Victor J.

Write us your feedback once you have come came back..i´m also interested in such trip....seems quite interesting..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom