High O2 deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, here's what I did to prepare for those kinds of dives...

Over several years I did lots of dives and training up through full cave and advanced trimix. I spent a lot of time in the study of decompression theory and learning to manage O2 exposure. I made dives that were a little deeper and/or a little longer and found what decompression procedures I'm comfortable with in the depth and time ranges I dive.

vjongene:
Do you know where I could get tables for multi-gas dives? This would actually be very useful.

They are available from IANTD, NAUI, TDI and probably other places. Personally I carry a palm pilot with d-plan on it and have vplanner on my pc at home.

I don't use a computer in-water.

vjongene:
If you have a simple solution to propose to this dilemma, I'd be glad to hear it. If you have a couple of Vytec's to loan to us, I'd be positively delighted!

The solution is simple but you won't like it. Just learn how do plan and conduct dives of this nature before you go.

Don't do "trust-me" dives.

Diving Bikini Atoll is on my hopefully someday list.

On their website is a list of equipment and skills needed to dive Bikini. This includes suggested training before coming there. Also, they don't rent out equipment, but they do have some computers available.

You're doing the right thing by doing you're research and planning ahead of time. Have a great Trip!!

Don't forget.......we expect a full detailed trip report when you return!!!

If you haven't seen their website...........

Go to the Bikini Atoll site here click on Dive Tourism/Information. about halfway down is a link for equipment and skills

MikeFerrara:
They are available from IANTD, NAUI, TDI and probably other places. Personally I carry a palm pilot with d-plan on it and have vplanner on my pc at home.

The solution is simple but you won't like it. Just learn how do plan and conduct dives of this nature before you go.

I quote here the recommendations made by ScubaJim, a regular on ScubaBoard:

To see all but the upper levels of the Saratoga divers have to pass the 130-foot "recreational limit" suggested by most training agencies and resort operations. This does not mean you have to be some kind of diving techno-wizard to dive Bikini! On the contrary, the diving is really quite easy in that there are virtually no currents, the water is more often than not exceptionally clear, and is always warm. It makes diving far more relaxing than a monster drift dive through a lagoon pass! At the same time, Bikini is not the place for the newly certified diver with a couple of Red Sea excursions in his or her logbook. You do not need every deep/tech/wreck diver certificate under the sun - in fact openwater divers can enjoy Bikini if they have the attitude & aptitude needed to extend their personal diving capabilities. If your willingness to learn the basics of deep-air & multi-level decompression diving is backed up by solid water skills and a reasonable base of advanced diving skills, you may consider Bikini the perfect place to take that "next step" into truly advanced diving. We recommend that you have done at least 80 to 100 dives, with preferably, but not obligatorily some of them deeper than 130ft and some of them involving multi-level safety stops. At the same time, we do not recommend a trip to Bikini as "the next step up the ladder" if you have not "been there, done that and got the t-shirt!" After you have dived Bikini you will be hard pressed to find somewhere as awe-inspiring as this!

I have about 300 dives under my weightbelt, including about 40 over 40 m, and a few more with mandatory deco stops. Even though I do not have an Advanced Nitrox certification, I do have both Basic Nitrox (PADI) and Deco diving (CMAS). I have taught dive physiology to beginning and Rescue level divers. I am preparing seriously for this trip, including a series of deco dives to 50 m in the Lake of Geneva (much tougher conditions than Bikini). I will not be doing extended deco on O2 here, because (1) it is too cold and (2) the club I dive with doesn't have the infrastructure. I am also trying to learn everything I can to be properly prepared. I now realize that having a piece of planning software on a Pocket PC is a good idea, and I will bring that with me.

As my wife said, this will be a once in a lifetime trip, and I will not be any younger next year. I am going. I hope to be prepared.

Sounds like you're well prepared. Go for it!
Just don't forget to post an after trip report just to make us even more envious. :clapping:

MikeFerrara:
Personally I carry a palm pilot with d-plan on it and have vplanner on my pc at home.

I use the exact same software, dplan and vplan.

I do carry computers, but be careful of infomation overload.

Know what you are doing, Mikes advice about getting deco training before you go is probably the best comment on this thread so far.

I heard this trip is great. You had better post us a trip report.

miketsp:
Sounds like you're well prepared. Go for it!
Just don't forget to post an after trip report just to make us even more envious. :clapping:

I can't possibly make a trip report to match the one by Scuba Jim last year. But I'll do my best!

The icing on the cake will be one week of reef diving on Rongelap, which was opened to visitors only in 2003. I guess that will be a first...

Thanks,

Victor J.

I support the previous suggestions to use a palm pilot or pocket PC and suitable software. I have both D-Plan and a palm version of VPM on my palm pilot. D-plan has an eaiser interface and consequently is the easier of the two to learn and use. For reasonable depths and times, the profiles produced are quite similar.

I would also recommend a course in deco procedures before you go to ensure you are fully aware of what is required and are able to be fully self sufficient if the need arises.

A trip to Bikini seems to be one of the greatest trip we can take...just imagine the view of saratoga flight deck!!!!!...

I understand the idea behind the concerns about using air in such conditions..but being heliar or trimix the best choice i think air is more than good enough to do the dives scheduled..after read the website of bikini divers they seems to be a serious people..bikini is a VERY isolated place so..helium bottles in the huge amount needed to support a dive operation could be no practical....I don´t know exactly how they organize the deco procedures but i have not hear accidents there produced by a mistake in the deco procedures...if some of you have heart something..please give us a reply to know it...

I think rely in a air computer could not be a great idea....the deco times will be by far greater than needed so tables (nitrox deco included) in these conditions would be a better way to do the things...the dive op. should have them..they know exactly how the profiles are.....If i have been in this situation i´ll try to rent one of the computers available from they if possible...after money in the trip..60$ doesn´t make a big difference and would improve your diving week...

will_tekkie:
I think rely in a air computer could not be a great idea....the deco times will be by far greater than needed so tables (nitrox deco included) in these conditions would be a better way to do the things...the dive op. should have them..they know exactly how the profiles are.....If i have been in this situation i´ll try to rent one of the computers available from they if possible...after money in the trip..60$ doesn´t make a big difference and would improve your diving week...

The concern here was that they have only three computers for rent. But yes, I'll check if two are still available. I would NOT like to have my son and I follow radically different deco schedules. And the suggestion to generate the tables with a dive planner software on a Pocket PC is an excellent one. I am learning to use GAP, and it seems that it would more than do the trick. As said before, if I can be hanging at the deco stop 20 min instead of 40 I would not miss it al all, and the ox tox problem would be much less worrisome.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and remarks.

Victor J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom