High oil prices vs diving vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also depends on when your going, When I first booked my trip I thought the airfare wouldn't be a problem since I went to Cancun a couple years ago and it was approx 350 USD RT. This time the first quote I got online was almost 1K and all the flights were connecting. That was a sunday to friday trip. I had to switch the days at the hotel to arrive on a wed and leave on a monday to get RT tickets for less than 400 USD. Still connecting flight but I'll deal with it and have an extra 600 in my pocket.

I have been looking at trips with the Aggressor fleet for next year and I know that their price guide states 2009 rates include fuel surcharge and apply to all passengers.

Anyone ever used them, I only heard of them from a friend who also wants to go and I know they are supposed to be more of a luxury type of experience. The rates seem pretty resonable considering the accomadations and the locations but I haven't really looked around much at competitors.

Higher oil prices are affecting us all. What people need to do is prioritize. I told my wife to stop buying groceries and watch Survivorman, so I can pay for my new fusion suit I just ordered.

We were going to do a return trip to Nassau this year but it's just too expensive. Now the airlines have gone to one checked bag with fees for additional bags making flying with dive gear even less attractive to me. We've opted for a trip to the Keys this year instead. While the airfare is still unattractive we can do the trip to the Keys for quite a bit less than the one to Nassau. Better airfares can be had for the Florida trip but the drive from Fort Lauderdale or Miami or even Ft. Myers is unpleasant enough for us that we are willing to pay a little extra to fly into Key West to minimize drive time.

Next year, who knows what we'll do. Maybe no dive trip at all, it's getting to the point where it's not worth the hassle. There are plenty of fun things to do in the US that don't involve the aggravation of traveling with dive gear.
Ber :lilbunny:

Has anyone been bumped off a flight due to the "schedual maintance" check problems? American Airlines just canceled 1000 flights in the last two days and a lot of people are not going anywhere fast ...... I hate to get stuck in Belize or Mexico because the airplane I was suppose to catch got canceled in the states and didn't make the flight.

I think the cost of heating oil is what has stung us the most. That up tick alone just about offset a dive trip for one compared to a couple of years ago. The gasoline prices meanwhile added to the belt tightening.

Between the increased travel cost and having less discretionary dollars air travel to a dive destination just isn't making sense. We kept busy in the off season with other interests. After 3 years of scuba obsession that was not a bad thing.

Fortunately we have more regional dive destinations than I can get to for a summer and I don't see us worrying about the cost of gasoline for those outings. If we feel the pinch we can always pack a picnic lunch instead of eating out and so forth.

Pete

Has anyone been bumped off a flight due to the "schedual maintance" check problems? American Airlines just canceled 1000 flights in the last two days and a lot of people are not going anywhere fast ...... I hate to get stuck in Belize or Mexico because the airplane I was suppose to catch got canceled in the states and didn't make the flight.

That's better that getting caught in the states while you have a room waiting in Belize:11:

A buddy had a June trip blown out of the water (No pun intended) with SkyBus folding.:(

I heard whoever SkyBus had away from home found their return tickets useless and needed to fend for them selves, not just wait for a reschedule.:shakehead:

Pete

I really don't feel sorry for any of you. You are whining about your next dive vacation while others are just struggling to make rent or have enough gas to get to work. Reality is that the economy is in an unstable period and some of you are just going to have to suck it up. Airlines are failing because costs are high and yet travelers still want 200 dollar fares. Now it is time for you to pay your fair share.

The exchange rates are more of a concern.

This is the one more of hidden fact that oil is so high. The dollar is at an all time low against all the major currency. Since the dollar is the international currency for trading in oil, it will cost US companies 60% more then the Euro country.

This was the cause by the ill advise of people thinking that the interest rate was going to stay low. So travel will be expensive for a while. Think it will be as bad next year, and we are still in the first half of this year.

Everyone said that it is the supply demand cause by countries like india and china, because they are needing more energy and are getting richer. That is just part of the story for the super high price of oil.

Yes oil company are making high profits, but to say they are completely to blame is not quite right.

2 billion in China
1.7 billion in India
420 million in Europa
300 million in the USA

There is allot more player for the same product, and with the dollar being so weak, the US is playing with the short stack

But for me I do not worry about the cost of flying. Just came back from Thailand, and my be off to Cape Town South Africa if I get the time off at work.

I really don't feel sorry for any of you. You are whining about your next dive vacation while others are just struggling to make rent or have enough gas to get to work. Reality is that the economy is in an unstable period and some of you are just going to have to suck it up. Airlines are failing because costs are high and yet travelers still want 200 dollar fares. Now it is time for you to pay your fair share.

Nobody is looking for your sympathy and you are absolutely right that we are very fortunate that a recession means taking a cheaper vacation or skipping a vacation as opposed to standing in the soup line. But I'm curious as to what you mean by "pay your fair share"? Exactly what is my fair share?

I remember $199 roundtrip airfares to Mexico and $30/night hotels ....... I went to Cozmel a lot more and a good 2 tank dive was around $20.

Back
Top Bottom